I received 5 new chicks

Karen May

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Hey my name is Karen, I got my first 3 chicks about 3 to 4 months ago from a friend. I don’t know what they are as of yet and my friend was no help at telling me. All I know is two turned out to be roosters and one a hen; which unfortunately i willl have to rehome my rooster being I live in a small residentially area and no roosters are aloud . So I order another 5 chicks from my pet chicken, by the way a really great place all my chicks were health and strong. My problem start like four days after receiving my chicks, I raised my other three in my green house in the small cage I made and never had anything happen to them . I had checked on my new chicks like five times during the day each day , but I went to check on them one morning and right off the back I knew something was wrong. The little box just didn’t seem full and I went to counting them and one was missing. No blood, no feathers just gone. My husband seem to think it was a chicken snake, but we have seen rats around, being our neighbor does nothing to the back of his fence line. I stayed in the green house reinforcing every little square inch of it, I even took the 4x4x4 space and made my chicks a little penthouse Off the floor and double up on the chicken wire and added a plastic mash between it and boarded up the side and drilled some small holes throughout. I even stayed out there all night waiting for that thing to return; because I was going to kill it, but it never came back. Is there any other suggestions to help keep my chicks safe from what ever it my be, I even thought about bringing in my white rooster into the green house being the babies were in a cage that he couldn’t get to them. Please any advice I need to be able to sleep at night again, worry chicken mom 🐔

Attachments

• 0B46881A-F0E4-4D6A-ADE2-675B8531D4B2.jpeg
    0B46881A-F0E4-4D6A-ADE2-675B8531D4B2.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello, Karen, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If it was a rat or a weasel that took the chick, the chicken wire and plastic fence won't stop it. Or any other predator for that matter.
You need 1/2" hardware cloth securely attached to all openings in a proper coop with proper ventilation. Basically, their sleeping quarters that they are locked up in should have no openings greater than 1/2" and all doors should be latched with something a toddler couldn't open.

Last edited:
Thank you will be looking in to that, would tractor supply have something like that.?
I've found the best prices on Amazon. I did this entire setup with three 48" x 50' rolls. The run is 12'x28' with a 4'x16' jog around the back.
You can secure the HC with screws and fender washers or hammer in 3/4" galvanized poultry staples.
Run with door and HC installed.jpg
post cap.jpg

If you leave any holes bigger than a quarter inch, something will get in. Cover everything with quarter x quarter hardware cloth, screw battens over it to hold it on. Staples can be pulled out by some critters.
1/4" HC tends to be very flimsy and weak. I've read of dogs running right through it.

Hey my name is Karen, I got my first 3 chicks about 3 to 4 months ago from a friend. I don’t know what they are as of yet and my friend was no help at telling me. All I know is two turned out to be roosters and one a hen; which unfortunately i willl have to rehome my rooster being I live in a small residentially area and no roosters are aloud . So I order another 5 chicks from my pet chicken, by the way a really great place all my chicks were health and strong. My problem start like four days after receiving my chicks, I raised my other three in my green house in the small cage I made and never had anything happen to them . I had checked on my new chicks like five times during the day each day , but I went to check on them one morning and right off the back I knew something was wrong. The little box just didn’t seem full and I went to counting them and one was missing. No blood, no feathers just gone. My husband seem to think it was a chicken snake, but we have seen rats around, being our neighbor does nothing to the back of his fence line. I stayed in the green house reinforcing every little square inch of it, I even took the 4x4x4 space and made my chicks a little penthouse Off the floor and double up on the chicken wire and added a plastic mash between it and boarded up the side and drilled some small holes throughout. I even stayed out there all night waiting for that thing to return; because I was going to kill it, but it never came back. Is there any other suggestions to help keep my chicks safe from what ever it my be, I even thought about bringing in my white rooster into the green house being the babies were in a cage that he couldn’t get to them. Please any advice I need to be able to sleep at night again, worry chicken mom 🐔
If you leave any holes bigger than a quarter inch, something will get in. Cover everything with quarter x quarter hardware cloth, screw battens over it to hold it on. Staples can be pulled out by some critters.

Back
Top Bottom