I regret getting chickens

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
I adore my chickens. Love them more than anything, they’re our pets. Couldn’t care less about the eggs from an eating standpoint, but I love the pretty colours and gathering them. I could watch my girls all day and being on flockdown has been emotionally difficult since I can’t be out with them as much. But I’m too tender hearted for this. Our first chickie, not even a year old yet, was dead this morning. No warning, no signs, just dead. We’ve had awful luck with chicks this year (shipping issues) and I’m worn out. It hurts. I just want them to live forever

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your chickens, you've obviously had a rough time. Can I say something bluntly? I'm not trying to hurt you or be rude.
Rehome them to a good home or pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
Animal keeping both require a level head, emotional maturity and a spine, it will never be an idilic pipe dream where nothing gets sick, dies or you won't have sad things happen.

I adore my chickens. Love them more than anything, they’re our pets. Couldn’t care less about the eggs from an eating standpoint, but I love the pretty colours and gathering them. I could watch my girls all day and being on flockdown has been emotionally difficult since I can’t be out with them as much. But I’m too tender hearted for this. Our first chickie, not even a year old yet, was dead this morning. No warning, no signs, just dead. We’ve had awful luck with chicks this year (shipping issues) and I’m worn out. It hurts. I just want them to live forever
:hugs :hugs

So sorry. It is very hard. Just remember the good times and that you give your chickens I am sure a wonderful life.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your chickens, you've obviously had a rough time. Can I say something bluntly? I'm not trying to hurt you or be rude.
Rehome them to a good home or pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
Animal keeping both require a level head, emotional maturity and a spine, it will never be an idilic pipe dream where nothing gets sick, dies or you won't have sad things happen.
I’m a long time farm girl, but it’s just hard overall right now. Too many constant issues (not chicken related) and losing pet after pet isn’t helping. We’ve nursed our babies through numerous health issues, take in rescues, and going out to a perfectly healthy bird I was just cuddling yesterday dead stings. It will get better, but today I am tired

I’m a long time farm girl, but it’s just hard overall right now. Too many constant issues (not chicken related) and losing pet after pet isn’t helping. We’ve nursed our babies through numerous health issues, take in rescues, and going out to a perfectly healthy bird I was just cuddling yesterday dead stings. It will get better, but today I am tired
I'm so sorry. That's just awful and heartbreaking. If you feel up to it, you might consider getting an autopsy done to figure out what happened. Sometimes that can provide closure and reassure you that there was nothing you could do, it's a one-off, and not something that might affect the rest of your flock. [You would need to refrigerate (not freeze) your bird if you want to get an autopsy done.]

Back
Top Bottom