I removed a HUGE growth on wattle (graphic and GROSS)

Quote:
She wasn't happy, but I tried to stick to the wattles and I think the nerves there are not really sensitive? Dunno, but it seemed to bother me more than her, lol.
Hugs and thanks
christina

I removed something very similar to this from my buff orpington rooster tonight. It too was big..there was a black horny substance sticking out kind of like you describe, and then I gently worked it out, surprised that it was so big. It looked like it had dry pus on the back of it. I managed to work it out with my fingers but my otherwise healthy rooster had this issue going on.

I would enclose photos of of what I took from Big Mike if I knew how. A theory that I have is that he's always getting into scuffles with the ducks and other chickens and perhaps this was a scab that tunneled...at first I thought he may have had a piece of rock embedded..but I know it poked out the skin in two sides...he didn't seem to mind me taking it out of there...I put some Neosporin in the holes it left in there...and he went on his merry way.

I don't detect an odor with it, but it is yellow on one side and it looks like dried pus. It has the texture and consistency of a dried fungus or maybe a piece of sinew. It did not bleed when I removed it.

I wondered the same thing regarding cancer...I plan on taking this to a vet to have her test it on Monday and see if she can shed some light on what it is and then it will depend on how I deal with the rest of my flock. I currently have sixteen chickens.

Note from a lab geek: "specimens" that you plan to submit to a lab/ DVM for examination should be placed in a clean, airtight container & kept cool until you can get them where they're going.

I put it in a ziploc baggie and put it in the fridge....from doing some research though, this might be the same infection that causes bumblefoot and even though it is more common in feet, it can be anywhere on his body...treating with a bit of Neosporin daily. He is wild so I catch him after he goes to roost.

Back
Top Bottom