I rescued 2 doves and need help feeding

The_Chicken_Dude

Chirping
Feb 8, 2019
USA
I rescued 2 baby mourning doves yesterday evening and brought them in. I found a recipe online for food (blended oatmeal, eggs, and almond milk), but I can’t get them to eat. I’ve watched YouTube videos and tried different methods, but I can’t get them to open their beaks. I’ve only fed them once so far. I just spread the paste on my fingers and gently squeezed their beaks, and they seemed to swallow some but so know it wasn’t nearly enough. Does anyone have any tips on caring for them, specifically feeding them.

I attached a photo of the 2 birds as well. I’d love to know how old they are too.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 74
I rescued 2 baby mourning doves yesterday evening and brought them in. I found a recipe online for food (blended oatmeal, eggs, and almond milk), but I can’t get them to eat. I’ve watched YouTube videos and tried different methods, but I can’t get them to open their beaks. I’ve only fed them once so far. I just spread the paste on my fingers and gently squeezed their beaks, and they seemed to swallow some but so know it wasn’t nearly enough. Does anyone have any tips on caring for them, specifically feeding them.

I attached a photo of the 2 birds as well. I’d love to know how old they are too.
Not for sure but they look like they may be fledglings. Fledglings leave the nest and find somewhere on the ground to hang out at this age. The parents will come feed them on the ground and usually keep an eye on them from afar. They may seem abandoned but are usually not. From what I understand they are difficult to feed as they dive deep into their parents crops for crop milk, although the parents may be bringing them insects and seeds at the fledgling age. You may give them the best chance by returning them to where you found them or somewhere very close but out of harms way, like in the shade of a bush. But keep an eye on them and check on them from time to time during the day. See if their crops are being filled or not, which would mean the parents are returning to feed them. I know it’s hard and they seem abandoned, but they usually aren’t and are just learning to leave the nest. A lot of them unfortunately get kidnapped when we intend to do good for them.

Hi please bring to a wildlife rehabber.

I say this with friendly intentions to you and respect to the staff of this site, but these threads always get locked sooner rather than later because what you are doing is a violation of the Migratory Bird Act, thus illegal and forbidden on the site.

Please do not feed the doves insects; they would be fed a strict seed diet by mom and dad. I agree that these doves are probably unintentionally kidnapped (I understand you had good intentions believe me). At this point it may be too late to reunite the youngsters with the parents.

Eventually you will find yourself unable to get help on this thread or any similar ones for reasons stated above.

Thank you for trying to help these doves but again please bring them to a licensed wildlife rehabber in your area.

Last edited:
Doves do NOT open their mouth to eat ... Learned that when I hatched an egg we found & ended up with a Zebra Dove to raise ... It was trial and error even with all the research I did. I used Kaytee Baby Bird Feed, there's the zip lock, spoon, straw method for feeding or come up with your own.

This type of bird (non-gap), sticks their beak into the parents crop to drink the milk.

Back
Top Bottom