I rescued two ducks. What do I do now?

Loghousemom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Up North
I stopped by a feed store the other day and was introduced to a cute little pair of webbed feet fowl. I was first told they had been left outside a local elementary school and the police department had brought them to the store. I cannot post a pic right now from the iPad, but I will tomorrow. I am not sure if they are 2 ducks or a gosling and a duckling. The gal at the store says duck and goose. A fellow shopper who raises ducks said they were ducks. 1 a Peking and one a Rouen.

The larger one is having leg issues. I spoke with a friend who has ducks. She recommended niacin. I added some to the water. I also am going to add that save-a-chick electrolyte/vitamin stuff. I noticed that it also has a niacin supplement. We brought them home Friday. Yesterday I noticed the problem with her legs. I added the niacin to the water and today she was up more, but not as often as the smaller one. This evening I also added the save-a-chick to the drinking water dish.

What are the most important things for me to know to make sure They have a happy life? What are the most helpful tips you have for a good intentioned newbie like me?

They recommended game feed when I was at the store, but if I want to brood them with my older chicks ( 4-6 weeks) will that be okay? I know that TSC carries a starter feed that can be used for chicks and ducklings... Is that alright for now?

Do they need something to swim in while they are young? What size? We will work on a permanent pond solution outdoors once spring decides to come.

I am completely clueless. (Off to gain some knowledge..)

I believe you certainly came to the right location! I have learned a great deal from this forum and love it.

1. The niacin is a great thing to add, 100-150mg per gallon of water. It is recommended to keep it in the water until they are at least 10wks old. I have 2 ducks and 2 chickens (all babies right now) and the added niacin is safe for the chicks as well. I also started using it when I noticed my older duckling laying down to drink, ect.

My chicks are 6wks and my ducks are 4wks and 1wk old. They are all brooding together and eating the same unmedicated chick start.

I would make sure to always have fresh water on hand as they go through it a lot!

Best info out there.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
and
welcome-byc.gif
pics when you can.

Miss Lydia, Thank you for the info. I think I will buy that book, or maybe see if I can find it at the library. I have the chicken one, so I suppose the duck one would also be good to have.

Here are some pics.

This is from when we brought them home.

trying to get pictures of her standing.

from the front

In the brooder box

Miss Lydia, Thank you for the info. I think I will buy that book, or maybe see if I can find it at the library. I have the chicken one, so I suppose the duck one would also be good to have.

Here are some pics.

This is from when we brought them home.

trying to get pictures of her standing.

from the front

In the brooder box
They are precious, One thing I suggest is making them a duckling container to wash their fces and eyes in, mweaning they can dunk their heads. thers a pic of one on the thread I gave you, your chicks are old enough now you domn't have to worry about them falling in and drowning. One thing about Pekins is they grow super fast so it's hard on their legs to keep up, the extra niacin will help. swim time in warm water will help build strength and on sunny days field trips outside will be fun where they can look for bugs, Hope she continues to gain strength keep us posted please.

Your ducks are adorable. I got two ducks and six chicks within a week of each other and raised them together. They are now about 2 1/2 months old and live outside, free-ranging. I fed the chicks and ducks the same unmedicated chick feed from TSC, and now feed them both a couple of different things...crumble and scratch grains, but they run around outside digging in the mud and swimming in the creek eating bugs. When they get a little older (yours look about 4 weeks younger than mine) they are hard to catch when they run! I used to let them swim in the bathtub once every couple of days when they were about a month old (about 4-6 inches of water) and I kept a basin of shallow water in their bin until they were old enough to be outside. They are messy! and will make a mess of any water you have around! Especially if you keep them in a coop with chickens.

Another silly question since I won't get my copy of the duck book for a while, How do you tell the difference between a boy and a girl duck?

Yes, they are super cute! And oh so snuggly, well the big one is. They have been named Paco (small one) and Petunia (big one). By my daughters.

I gave them a shallow dish with about 3 inches of water, but looking to switch it out for something a bit bigger and deeper. I have a larger plastic bin, but cannot figure out how to make it accessible for them to easily get in and out... I will maybe have to go dig around the rock piles and find just the right rocks I think. It's about 10 inches high so they would need something to get in and out I think... Well at least till Petunia's legs are working a bit better.

I am so impressed with how quickly the Niacin seems to be helping. I kind of wonder if her leg problem was why they were dumped. If only her previous owners would have know it was something as simple as adding supplements to their food and water. Oh well, their loss. :D

They are precious, One thing I suggest is making them a duckling container to wash their fces and eyes in, mweaning they can dunk their heads. thers a pic of one on the thread I gave you, your chicks are old enough now you domn't have to worry about them falling in and drowning.  One thing about Pekins is they grow super fast so it's hard on their legs to keep up, the extra niacin will help. swim time in warm water will help build strength and on sunny days field trips outside will be fun where they can look for bugs, Hope she continues to gain strength keep us posted please.

I am very impatiently waiting for those warm sunny days. I have forgotten what they are like. Last week we were dumped on with 20 inches of snow, and today it was all of a whopping 32 degrees outside. Tonight they forcast 22. Ugh. I despise long winters.

Another silly question since I won't get my copy of the duck book for a while, How do you tell the difference between a boy and a girl duck?

Yes, they are super cute! And oh so snuggly, well the big one is. They have been named Paco (small one) and Petunia (big one). By my daughters.

I gave them a shallow dish with about 3 inches of water, but looking to switch it out for something a bit bigger and deeper. I have a larger plastic bin, but cannot figure out how to make it accessible for them to easily get in and out... I will maybe have to go dig around the rock piles and find just the right rocks I think. It's about 10 inches high so they would need something to get in and out I think... Well at least till Petunia's legs are working a bit better.

I am so impressed with how quickly the Niacin seems to be helping. I kind of wonder if her leg problem was why they were dumped. If only her previous owners would have know it was something as simple as adding supplements to their food and water. Oh well, their loss.
big_smile.png
Only let them have access to swimming water when you can be there to supervise, until fully feathered out they can get water logged and drown. plus the water needs to be warm and then patted dry and put back under heat lamp to keep from chilling. Wonderful news about Petunias legs Pekins grow so fast I think that maybe one reason we hear more about leg problems in this breed. But glad you got on it fast. yes sad they were dumped but so thankful there was someone to take them in and give them a good home. Bless you.

Back
Top Bottom