I resisted the chickies!! But....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yoie, Apr 13, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to TSC to get my feed since last week I called to see when they would be getting more in and today was the day! I went in and they had just gotten in chicks [​IMG] . But I resisted, they only had Red Comets, White Leghorns and White Rock Crosses (I think). Then lo and behold right in the middle was ducklings [​IMG] Of course I had my two daughters with me and my oldest who is 4 1/2 went up to the lady and asked what breed they were, they had no clue [​IMG] and then she told the lady we will take all four and we need a box. I laughed and said we had enough chicks at home, but she replied but they aren't chicks, they are ducks! So I gave in, how could you resist the ducky cuteness anyway, but we left with only two. No clue to the breed or if we got boys or girls. So here are our new little fluffies any input to what they are would be greatful! One is darker than the other and the lighter one has a "very" loud peep!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. HoldensLandingChickGirl

HoldensLandingChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Northwest Connecticut
    So adorable! I resisted the duckling (barely!) this weekend at TSC.

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    OMG! They are so cute. Your daughter asking about the breed is hilarious. LOL! And, she's got a point, they weren't chickens, they were duck. Awesome!

4. awwwwwww

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

All the stories on here talking about not being able to resist the temptation is the exact reason that I am avoiding TS right now! [​IMG] I KNOW I wouldn't be able to resist... I know my own foables! [​IMG]

btw... adorable duckies [​IMG]

6. Mama_Chicken

Mama_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Statenville, Ga
    I had to fight myself HARD when I went to TSC last week... they had two ducklings left! But, I've got 3 Indian Runners that are due the first of June!!!!!!!

If I remember correctly, the ducks they had at my TSC were pekin ducks, and that's kind of what these look like!

[​IMG]

7. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    So cute! Ducks are hilarious, though be prepared for a LOT of water being splashed around. They're messy!
    They look like Pekin to me. Gender can be determined around 3 months, the hens will have a loud distinct "quack" while the drakes will sound deeper and softer.

8. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

They are doing great, they have already dumped half thier water out and having a great time. I just looked at the TSC special order form and the White Pekin looks most like mine. I can't wait to watch them grow, my chicks have been so much fun!

9. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah we just got ducks from TSC also, Pekins. Look exactly alike. We couldn't resist the urge either. Came home with 6 Americuanas and 2 ducklings.

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

just got home from southern states....went for rabbit pellets but ended up with alot more...mainly 2 ducklings which my 8 y/o g'son has names Splash and Puddle.
    i'll post pics later...see if anyone knows what breed they may be. They're not pekins ,they're dark colored....DH and DD-in- law are pretty sure i have lost it but g'son is VERY pleased so i don't care what the others think..[​IMG] [​IMG]
    can't remember how to care for the little guys (3 days old) it's be 15 years since we had ducks.Need to do a search on here now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by