I SAVED MY HEN FROM A POSSUM, NEED HELP

CarlitosRussito

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014

I was in the bathroom, when I heard a chicken screaming and ran outside to find the chicken between the Wire and a possum running up the tree. The hen along with her flock are now in the garage. I fear it can come back, and kill them. How can I deal with it? Can a pump rifle kill it? Should I trap it? Any suggestions would help, thanks. (P.S. the hen is alright)

Last edited:

0wen

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Not sure if pump rifle will kill it. .177 or 22 air rifles will do the trick of you don't have a .22 laying around.
In a pinch you could trap it and kill it via drowning or co2 from your car exhaust. (Both are bad ways to go & not advocating it. Just giving options to protect your birds if you don't have a firearm).

If you prefer a cleaner kill you can pick up a 22 from pawn or Wal-Mart for less than $100 usually. I'd trap it either way. Put a brick or something heavy on the door to avoid a jail break once you get him in there.

Millworker26

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
SE PA

I was in the bathroom, when I heard a chicken screaming and ran outside to find the chicken between the Wire and a possum running up the tree. The hen along with her flock are now in the garage. I fear it can come back, and kill them. How can I deal with it? Can a pump rifle kill it? Should I trap it? Any suggestions would help, thanks.
Yes you should trap it, do you have a trap and a means to kill it?

carlf

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
Mobile, AL
Get a trap, bait it with dry cat food. You can kill a possum in a trap with a pellet gun but a .22 is better.
DO NOT RELOCATE PREDATORS. You will be just moving your problem to someone else.
Keep the trap set until you stop catching coons & possums.

Next secure your Coop and pen. Why are your birds in the garage? Do they no have a secure coop?
A secure lockable coop and a secure 5 sided run is a must even if you free range.

Every chicken owner should have at least one raccoon size box trap and a means to kill whats in it.

CarlitosRussito

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
They only stayed in the garage for the Night of the attack, they are outside now. Would it help if I cover all the openings? That way can't get in. I've not seen him again ever since, I wish I still had my dog, he would of gnawed him out the moment he heard the hen screaming. I will get a trap soon, as well as some changes. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Top Bottom