I saved my Roo from scaley leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bonnie Gentry, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Bonnie Gentry

Bonnie Gentry Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    guyton
    Thank you to all of you wonderful Chicken lovers out there who helped me determine what was ailing my bantam rooster!!!![​IMG] After I found out he had the scaley leg mites I took your advice and treated his legs every day for 2 weeks with vasilene. To recap the event, he had begun to limp real bad and would not stand on his right leg My roo is a free range guy and he was just getting really unhealthy looking. I took him off his barn perch at night and put him in a hospital pen ( I call it). I noticed his comb was beginning to turn black on the tips and I was told to give him vitimans, that he was probably getting anemic too from the little blood suckers on his legs. Well after about two weeks of treatment with vaseline he was much improved .. I read about using mineral oil and tea tree oil mixed ( just enough tea tree oil to begin to smell) so I decided to try that because the vaseline was hard to use ( getting into all the cracks etc) and the tea tree oil has healing properties.......I just dipped his legs in the mix for 30 seconds a day, he was a good patient. Now he is back to being free with his hens and walking normally again:weee I just had to give a report on it!!! Thank you BYC and all the great chicken folks that live here:love oh, and his comb came back beautifully too!!! Yey

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    congrats on getting him better, yes, tea tree oil and mineral mix is a good thing to use for leg mites

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good results. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock as they have all been exposed to leg mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by