I set the timer on extra light in the coop today... anyone else?

still working on getting power to the coop, I'm finding there is always something else to do or add! we will definetly be setting up a light and timer soon, thanks for the reminder!

Yes, my boyfriend ran an extension cord out to our coop and installed a light on a timer, to turn on at 5:30 a.m. None had started molting or gone broody so I think we're good?

Our coop is fairly small...I am nervous about it lighting the pine shavings on fire. LOL It gets cold here in NH and I dont have insulation in the coop. Will a light in there keep it warm enough to keep the water from freezing or no? What wattage should I use? Here is a pic of our coop.....

87705_dsc06087.jpg

87705_dsc06088.jpg

Thank you!
smile.png

Not red. You need enough light to be able to read under it. I use an LED drop light.

I thought I was set until I noticed the hens were slowing to nothing. The light was on when I got up. For some reason I decided to check the timer. My guys had been working in the workshop and turned the electricity off to the shop (and chicken houses), unbeknownst to me. The timer was busily working and since the time was off 3 hours, it came on at 5:30, off at 10 instead of the way I set it... on at 2:30, off at 7. I set the correct time and hopefully the chickens will adjust. Sigh!

not going to this year...its their first year laying, I am still getting 8 a day from 11 girls...no hurry...I will let nature do its thing this year...

I added a light to the coop and run. They come on at 4:30AM at off at 8AM. I just ran a drop cord out there for now. That works ok unless you forget to reset the timer after you mow the grass and plug the coop back in
roll.png
. Got up at about 5AM that morning looked out and no light. Went out and turned it on and was amazed at how fast they were up and out of the coop. The first one was in the run in 10 to 20 seconds. There's no door on the coop but the run is very secure. I added the light in the coop so they could come out for breakfast. Not sure if that's required or not.

I have light in the evening but when I go out later today I am going to look for one that will turn on twice in 24 hours so they can have some light in the morning too. All my neighbors like the egg songs so I don't have to worry about the girls being chatty in the mornings.

Back
Top Bottom