I set the timer on extra light in the coop today... anyone else?

I have a timer going. Its getting to where they are going to bed at like 6 pm...which its totally not dark out but its dark enough in the coop that I think its affecting production some. I have various stages of molters as well, which doesnt help. the timer comes on at 4 am. I was getting 10 eggs per day for a good 2 weeks..out of 20 hens. Now it ranges from 6-9.

we've decided not to put a timer for extra light and just nature take it course so not bothering with the light thing, will look forward to eggs next year though when the springs comes

Nope. Never have, don't see any reason to start now. Plus, I have 7 pullets in their first year of laying so I'm getting enough eggs to feed us and some to spare anyhow.

I got a digital timer at Walmart for 7.00, works great. I set it for 5 am to 7am. My egg production went up the first day. I have 5 hens and am now getting 4 eggs a day, but three just came off molt.

I put mine in two weeks ago... but just found out it wasn't coming on... and fixed it today! Got mine for a few bucks at Harbor Freight. It comes on at 5am, goes off at 7:30am, then back on from 5:30-7:30pm

I have 6 BO's, and haven't had any eggs since Sept 27th. All my hens are 2 1/2 yrs old and have been moulting for the past 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Quote:
If they are molting all the lights in the world aren't gonna change that. Just have to wait out the molt.
smile.png

I added light last year, morning only. I get concerned they will get caught off the roost if I run it at night, when it suddenly goes off. This year I'm going to see how it goes without -- we have new pullets who will probably lay enough over the winter, and part of me prefers letting laying slow down and crank up naturally. I really don't feel like either approach is "right" or "wrong."

Back
Top Bottom