I should have been warned!!! New Chicks

Im jealous. We have 2 TSCs that I visit just because I love that store, they said they wont have chicks until Mid-April. I live in Pa so its still cold here on some days. The last 2 days it was about 55 outside and today was almost at 50. I would expect thats why they are waiting so long. I am torn, should I buy some mail-order or wait until TSC gets them. I want some Buff Orps, RIRs, Barred Rocks and White Leghorns. From past experience, do you guys know if they will have these breeds? I have looked at the chicks every year, not being serious about getting any I just thought they were cute.

I just phoned our two nearest TSCs. The closest one got some ducks today, but chicks won't arrive until tomorrow or Friday. The store that's futher away told me last week that chicks wouldn't be here until Friday, but they just told me on the phone tonight that the chicks are already in. They are too far away to make it there tonight before they close, but there is always tomorrow on the way home from work.
smile.png

They said they had a mix of different pullet breeds, RIRs and some bantams. So I am hopeful maybe they have some buff orpingtons amongst that set of mixed pullets. If not maybe the closer store will have them by Friday.

I got 6 at out local TSC just today. They had all pullets and Peking ducklings. The pullets were RIR, Buff Orps, Black Australorps and Gold Laced Wyandottes. Girl there said they'd be getting new ones every week at least through March

Mine told me they weren't getting any more after these...if they might all sell out this weekend how can they advertise Chick Days March 7 - March 29 if they aren't ordering more??

Sarah

TSC is doing chick days, last two years ours only did BUNNIES. Avian Flu scare worried what customers might think. I guess I should avoid TSC for next couple of weeks. Was in NJ and stopped to see if thier store had other things than mine, they had rabbits. I know last year they(asst. manager) said that you could have your order shipped to the store but that the store would not have others for sale.

Quote:
First, welcome to BYC
cool.png
Second, since I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley, I can understand why chick days may be a bit later there than elsewhere. If I stilled lived in the area I would personally wait until at least the end of March before having chicks mail ordered. Why risk the chance of it still being too cold. But that's just me. I can totally understand wanting them NOW, or better yet, yesterday. The TSC here had RIR, Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, Black Autralorps and Gold Laced Wyandottes. But from what I'm seeing other stores have different breeds. Good luck and stay warm.

I wasn't planning on getting any time real soon. But I am planning for the next few months. Preparing all of the equipment that I will need. Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't wait for chick days at Orscheln's (like tsc) but the guy there just threw chicks in the brooder without looking at them, then wrote the names on a tag.that would work fine if he wasn't mixing them up.When I asked him which were the houdans he didn't know. (easy to tell they have 5 toes) Luckily I knew what I wanted, although they didn't have all the breeds I was hoping to get.I got (pullets) 4 buff orpington's,4 rir's,4 silver laced wyandottes, (straight run) 3 turkens, 2 houdans, 4 bantams (1 w/ feathered legs). These will ad nicely to our flock. (all girls) 4 black sex links, 3 rir, 3 barred rock, 3 americauna. we wanted more americaunas (they're wonderful) but they had "rainbow layers"which I suspect are mongrels.They came from Estes hatchery. Last year we went to a smaller farm store and they got their order from Cackle.I was very happy w/ them, I just couldn't wait 'til their chick days.the count is now a wife, 3 sons, 2 dogs, 2 pygmy goats,and 34 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom