I should have been warned!!! New Chicks

new2chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
I went to Tractor Supply and my feed store to get stuff to be ready for chicks (either bought from either local or ordered) I went to TSC first and bought what I needed from there (the things that were cheaper than feed store) They had chicks already and I almost bought some until the guy asked what I wanted, I told him (Ameraucauna and Buff Orp) He started to load the box with these black chicks. I asked what kind those were (not fully positive of what Ameraucauna chicks look like) he said they were Buff Orpingtons!!! WHAT!!!! NO so I said never mind, that BOs are not black, he said sure they are. I asked if they had a book I could look at that showed chicks, he said yes brought it out and turned to the page with info on the BOs and pointed to the pic of black chicks next to it. (next page had pics of adult and chicks...some other breed) I flipped the info page over and it had pics of BOs. Guy was an idiot!! So I bought what I needed and left. I get to the feed store, I go to open the door and I see the lights are on in the troughs (last time I was there no chicks...no lights) so I don't look and get the stuff I need, but I hear the cute peep peep peep and have to look on my way out and notice they have Ameraucauna pullets. I got 2 of them (Naomi and Wynona - the Judds) 1 Rhode Island Red (Reba), and 1 Barred Rock (Crystal - after Crystal Gayle).

Here's the girls

1.JPG

More can be seen at
http://laughterherd.blogspot.com/2008/03/cheep-cheep-cheep-cheep.html

I am sure your TSC will be better!! But just in case
fl.gif

Mine is short staffed. I spoke with a lady this morning that is afraid of birds, but she was the one that had to go get them from the post office and set them up...I didn't think to ask her which were pullets and which were straight run or what kind they had, but when I went back this afternoon (I was price shopping this morning!!!) the guy there was an idiot about birds, I asked if there was anyone there that might know what they were talking about and he said no. I said I would have to come back tomorrow and hope there would be someone that knew something! He said well thats if they are still here tomorrow. I think he really wanted me to buy them...I almost did, but Hubby said if they didn't know what they were to pay more to order or go to the feed store!

Sarah

Quote:
I grabbed one of TSC's order brochures to special order some, but ended up using it just to show my wife what full grown chickens of different breeds would look like. The prices were pretty decent, but there was no verbage on there about guaranteeing that they'll arrive alive or anything, so I just went with ordering from the same hatchery that supplies our local Rural King. The guy at RK told me that of 1500 chicks they had received so far, only 5 had died - tough little peepers. But the RK folks had no idea what breed or breeds were in their pullet bin, so I passed on that.

Big Charlie

Were only employees allowed to get the chicks or could you have picked out a buff orp yourself?

I could have, but they had some that looked like BOs, but I wasn't positive...being a newbie!! LOL

I felt bad for them..they had Bantams, Standards and Ducks all in the same trough (way over crowded in my opinion) and more than a couple times the little bantams got shoved into the side.
Poor guys
hit.gif

There were a couple chicks that the guy said were cochins, but again he was not knowledgable, just looking at the Ideal catalog at the picks of the chicks...I could have done that!! I didn't look at the legs (to crowed)

Its no big deal! I like being on the other end of the questions!! I have had so many in my 3 days being here!! LOL

I don't know if they did, or just had the catalog for a guide?!? I asked the guy if they came from Ideal in Cameron and he said yes. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't!!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom