I cannot tell my chicks’ age

Audballmaker

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hi y’all!

I have been looking through yalls posts of 6 week old chicks to compare to what I believe are my 6 week old chicks and they look very different in my opinion.

I purchased 2 black australorps on 2/26 and bought my 3 black star (sex-links) on the 28th a couple days later at a different feed store but they were already bigger than my australorps. The guys at both feed stores said they came in the previous Thursday 2/22 so that would make them 6 weeks old?

Anyway I’m trying to get an idea of their age since we aren’t sure when to move them outside. I keep reading the best age is after they are fully feathered around 6-8 weeks (depending hardiness) we have a couple 30 degree nights coming up being in the Appalachian mountains.

I attached a few recent pics of my chicks for reference.
(I do keep them in our living space since I consider them our family.)

Attachments

• 4F62BC08-8D8C-4828-8425-6D116784E917.jpeg
    4F62BC08-8D8C-4828-8425-6D116784E917.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9739.jpeg
    IMG_9739.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2E012660-A443-4ED2-9ED0-7E34CD6E6E9F.jpeg
    2E012660-A443-4ED2-9ED0-7E34CD6E6E9F.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9859.jpeg
    IMG_9859.jpeg
    791.4 KB · Views: 32
Did the stores receive them in as shipped day olds? They look older than 6 weeks.
They are fully feathered and can and should be moved out now.
They are no longer called chicks once fully feathered. They are pullets or cockerels.
As long as they have draft free roosting with COPIOUS amounts of ventilation, they will be fine. If you are concerned about them being cold, off them a huddle box that is large enough for all of them to fit in it. Lay it on it's side on the coop floor and leave the top flap in place. Bank it with dry fluffy bedding with a thick layer inside.

Did the stores receive them in as shipped day olds? They look older than 6 weeks.
They are fully feathered and can and should be moved out now.
They are no longer called chicks once fully feathered. They are pullets or cockerels.
As long as they have draft free roosting with COPIOUS amounts of ventilation, they will be fine. If you are concerned about them being cold, off them a huddle box that is large enough for all of them to fit in it. Lay it on its side on the coop floor and leave the top flap in place. Bank it with dry fluffy bedding with a thick layer inside.
Yes, they stated that they were all shipped to their stores at a day old.

Thank you for the advice; we thought they were older than 6 weeks as well and we bought them all as pullets.their combs are staying pink and no red or pointy saddle feathers so I’m thinkin we got lucky with all pullets. I’ll look into making a huddle box this weekend to help them if they feel a draft.

If you really want to be nit picky.
🙂
If you figure the hatchery that shipped them took max 3 days to ship to store, I'm guessing they hatched on Sunday Feb 18 and shipped Monday Feb 19
Making them 6 weeks old tomorrow (Easter Sunday)
About as close of a guess not knowing exact hatch/ship dates. 🤣

@DobieLover is giving you help with getting them outside, so figured I'd have fun with the math part 😉

Back
Top Bottom