I shouldn't have looked...

Well really if you think about it: you should expect to lose like 25% of your eggs before hatching, then 25% of the chicks when they are young, then account for 50% of the chicks hatching to be roosters. So really you are only getting like a couple chicks if you buy 10 of each from TSC.

and thats chicken math for you

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Thats how I've ended up with almost 70 birds🙃

I accounted to lose a ton, and literally every egg has hatched, barely any roosters at all, and I have not lost a single chick. I mean - YAY, but - nay. Too many chickens.

Wow. Easter Eggers are shocking to see at our TSC stores. We usually see RIR or BO, BR and assorted game chicks and nothing else.

In addition to these two breeds, they were also selling Easter Eggers (and marked as such. Shocker!) and Sapphire Gems.

I bought 6 chicks from TSC last spring. They were marked as Ameracaunas. BYC'ers told me "No way. They are Easter Eggers." Ended up with 5 roosters and 1 hen in that batch. Hen lays blue eggs though.

Last fall, I bought 5 Ameracauna pullets from McMurray Hatchery. All of them lay green eggs.

So I decided to cut my losses there and try a different breed of blue layers. I think (hope) I ended up with 3 Prairie Bluebell and 3 Starlight Green. At least that's what I was trying for...

So trying to get the new chicks under the broodies should have been an episode made for reality TV...

First, it's pouring down rain. Been raining all day so it's super muddy and yucky.

I walked outside in the rain to make sure all my chickens were back inside the chicken run because I had let them out earlier to free range. I realized TWO of the broodies were in the chicken yard with 3 of their newly hatched chicks. I watched them for a few minutes and realized that the broodies were trying to get the babies back in the coop and out of the rain but I have a short ramp into the coop. Babies kept running under the ramp instead of figuring out how to go up it.

I decided to try to help. Bad, bad, BAD idea.... Both broodies got very upset and kept trying to attack me. Chicks were running all over the place. It started to rain harder and was near dark. I was worried the broodies would end up sleeping outside in the rain with the chicks because they couldn't get up the ramp. I managed to trap the broodies in the coop. After a bit of a chase, I caught 2 of the 3 chicks and put them in the coop. Went to catch the last chick and it RAN UNDER THE GOAT HOUSE! 😳

I literally sat in the rain and $#@>ty muck for nearly 30 minutes trying to get the dang chick to come out. In desperation, I started whistling and trying to mimic a chick. It finally came out and I caught it.... Put it in the coop and went to go get the new chicks.

I was really unsure about putting the chicks in because I knew the broodies were feeling traumatized by my invasion. I brought the box in and sat on a bucket. There were THREE broodies crowding into one nesting box. My nesting boxes are kind of big (18" square) so definitely room but still made me worried about the chicks getting squished. After a few minutes of observing, I gently placed all 6 new chicks in front of the broodies. Some of the chicks immediately tried crawling under feathers, butts, and wings. The broodies let them in. They seemed far more concerned about me getting closer than whether the chicks "belonged" or not.

By this time it was really dark so I backed out of the coop and left them alone. Fingers crossed that everyone is alive and in good shape in the morning!

I was worried about the broodies doubling up on the nesting box on Saturday night but when I went to feed everyone this morning, they were all back in their own individual boxes..

So given all the crowding, it is very possible that I could lose some chicks in the process.

Yes... You guys are bad enablers.... 😂 I didn't buy any but I spent a good portion of the homily during church thinking about the best way to reduce my flock count so I could justify buying them.... 😂

And whoever suggested getting some for the broodies, well.... That's brilliant and evil at the same time! 😂 If I did that, no one would probably notice I even added them. And yes, they did look very young.... I could totally do it.

Arkansas law requires a minimum purchase of 6 chicks. I can't take 6. Anyone here in Arkansas that might want 3? 😉
Thats my problem I could sneak 3 in not 6. I would have the room but I think it would be a bit much. I have 2 8x10 coops but they like the space to spread out and I don't want or need more eggs.

So trying to get the new chicks under the broodies should have been an episode made for reality TV...

First, it's pouring down rain. Been raining all day so it's super muddy and yucky.

I walked outside in the rain to make sure all my chickens were back inside the chicken run because I had let them out earlier to free range. I realized TWO of the broodies were in the chicken yard with 3 of their newly hatched chicks. I watched them for a few minutes and realized that the broodies were trying to get the babies back in the coop and out of the rain but I have a short ramp into the coop. Babies kept running under the ramp instead of figuring out how to go up it.

I decided to try to help. Bad, bad, BAD idea.... Both broodies got very upset and kept trying to attack me. Chicks were running all over the place. It started to rain harder and was near dark. I was worried the broodies would end up sleeping outside in the rain with the chicks because they couldn't get up the ramp. I managed to trap the broodies in the coop. After a bit of a chase, I caught 2 of the 3 chicks and put them in the coop. Went to catch the last chick and it RAN UNDER THE GOAT HOUSE! 😳

I literally sat in the rain and $#@>ty muck for nearly 30 minutes trying to get the dang chick to come out. In desperation, I started whistling and trying to mimic a chick. It finally came out and I caught it.... Put it in the coop and went to go get the new chicks.

I was really unsure about putting the chicks in because I knew the broodies were feeling traumatized by my invasion. I brought the box in and sat on a bucket. There were THREE broodies crowding into one nesting box. My nesting boxes are kind of big (18" square) so definitely room but still made me worried about the chicks getting squished. After a few minutes of observing, I gently placed all 6 new chicks in front of the broodies. Some of the chicks immediately tried crawling under feathers, butts, and wings. The broodies let them in. They seemed far more concerned about me getting closer than whether the chicks "belonged" or not.

By this time it was really dark so I backed out of the coop and left them alone. Fingers crossed that everyone is alive and in good shape in the morning!

I was worried about the broodies doubling up on the nesting box on Saturday night but when I went to feed everyone this morning, they were all back in their own individual boxes..

So given all the crowding, it is very possible that I could lose some chicks in the process.
Sounds like a very eventful evening for you. 😂
Hope all your chicks make it through the night and are successfully adopted. :fl They are very adorable.

chicks were $1(!!!!) at tsc yesterday when I went. It took everything I had to just grab the feed and checkout 😭😭😭
Support GIF by Marie Curie

Back
Top Bottom