I somehow only hatch roosters

I like getting the boys.
I don't buy sexed chicks because I know what will happen to the cockerels in that group.
Every new cockerel is a joy to me.
I'm eagerly waiting on my two young cockerels to start crowing.

However if you're only getting cockerels - it would make sense to get some sexed chicks to even it out a bit.
Want mine? I've got 11 you can have

This will put me at 13 roosters... Ffs. Just so disappointing. What an absolute waste of time this year has been across the board.

I’m not sure if you’re planning on filling your freezer with them or not, but with the whole talk of this will be a dark winter, some homegrown meat in the freezer will be nice.

I’m not sure if you’re planning on filling your freezer with them or not, but with the whole talk of this will be a dark winter, some homegrown meat in the freezer will be nice.
I can't eat them, I am too attached, so I'll give them to someone else who can.

When you put the eggs in the incubator, what percentage overall has hatched? I’ve heard people claim that female embryos are more sensitive to incubation conditions, so if you have several quitters maybe the incubation conditions aren’t perfect and they would have been female. Other than that it’s just a numbers game, one day let’s hope you’ll have a year of hens.

I once had a very dominant French Marans hen whose offspring for 7 consecutive years was always male.

Apart from that I noticed that any kind of stress (cold, overcrowding, malnutrition, disharmonious combination of breeding stock, dislike of the cock etc.) would lead to lots of male offspring while a harmonious combination, balanced diet, agreeable weather conditions, generous space and a good and caring cock which is actually sought-after by the hens will lead to 80-100% female offspring.

Of course these are just my observations with my various chicken breeds and flocks over the period of several decades.

I once had a very dominant French Marans hen whose offspring for 7 consecutive years was always male.

Apart from that I noticed that any kind of stress (cold, overcrowding, malnutrition, disharmonious combination of breeding stock, dislike of the cock etc.) would lead to lots of male offspring while a harmonious combination, balanced diet, agreeable weather conditions, generous space and a good and caring cock which is actually sought-after by the hens will lead to 80-100% female offspring.

Of course these are just my observations with my various chicken breeds and flocks over the period of several decades.
Haha I was assuming incubator, but it seems a positive natural incubation experience makes a difference too.

All her offspring meant hatched from her eggs, whether with a broody or incubator.
Yes I realize, but I always assumed natural broody incubation is superior, I was interested to see you demonstrate varrying results in the hatch based on different natural hatch conditions. I have only incubated with an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom