1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I speak chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbanhomesteader, Jul 8, 2007.

1. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to think that Bo and The Production Reds were saying, 'Bawwwwk, bawwk". Today, they followed me around as I was weeding and gardening, and we were really doing some serious bonding.

After feeding one of them a grasshopper, it dawned on me that I just had never understood their accent.

What they were REALLY saying was, "buuuug, buggg, bug"

[​IMG]

2. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Isn't it fun when they follow you around? While I was working on the run today they were all around me and sat down right next to me in the shade when I sat to rest.
    [​IMG]

Maybe you could come over to my house and ask my girls why they aren't laying yet... [​IMG]

Jess

3. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    What an amazing talent! How much do you charge per hour for chicken translating?!

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes, I need to to tell me why Bleu the Roo thinks my flip flops are flirting with him and why my Buff Orpington loves to be snuggled when the others run.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think you should be the chicken whisperer and have your own thread on here to answer questions for people and help them to better communicate with their chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hello my name is wendy and my chicken looked right up at me the other day and said "buk-buk....buk........*long pause* and then a long bugawk". I really feel like he was trying to tell me something [​IMG] can you help me?

7. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I thought mine were saying "cheep, cheep, cheep", but after giving them some cheese... I now know they say "cheese, cheese, cheese"!!!!

They LOVE cheese!!

[​IMG] <------ This is what they do when I get the bag out!!!

8. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I love when my chickens follow me around! They will now follow me out to the back barn when I go to feed the pigs - it's such a riot to be walking across the yard with a flock of 27 chickens running after me!!!

9. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    My broody australorp, Heidi, will actually say "hello"...I've got it on video...and I gotta figure out how to make it compatible (I took it on my cellphone) so others who don't believe it can see it. haha

10. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Lurky, I think your chicken was saying something to you (sorry, it's hard to get the inflection of the printed word), and when you didn't answer, she said, "what-EVER!!

Jackie, your roo thinks the straps on your flip-flops are the world's biggest worms, and the sound they make as they hit your heels is the sound of a kissing chicken, which may be making him feel amorous.

<back of hand on forehead>

Phew! This is exhausting work! I'm not cut out to be a Chicken Whisperer!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by