I spotted a Fox...

NarleevilleClucks

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Linthicum, Maryland
I have had my coop built and my chix freeranging for months now, although still no eggs (19 weeks)...so last night I'm gardening out back and my chix go behind their coop, which they never do. All of a sudden Camilla (head chic) starts going nuts and screaming! I think she's laying an egg and perplexed by what is happening so I get excited and go down to the bottom of the yard and see that she's yelling at her girls that she sees something. I look out beyond and there is a fox turning to run (it saw me first). So I sick my Canine American (dog) on the fox to give it a good scare and start planning to be more diligent about cloing the girls in for the night. My run is below the coop and very secure...the cat can't get in, but how persistant are foxes? I also brushed my dog and cat and put the hair behind the coop in the woods so that the fox would smell the dog that chased it if it comes around again...but how much does that really work? I really don't want to lose my flock of 5 at this point...or any point but I haven't even ever tasted a homegfrown egg! Arg....survival of the fittest is beat.

THey can be very determined. I have many in my area; we sunk our fencing down into the ground to prevent intrusion. So far, so good. I think your plans and what you're currently doing are all very good ideas!

With digging pest I have my fence sunk down a foot, Plus I go to the farm field and pick big rocks and place then around the fences just in case. So far so go good and I live way out in the country.

We had a fox visit last night at coop closing time also. The run was open because we freerange and the fox was in the run, but all the chickens had gone to roost and ours are about six foot high. no chickens were hurt, but the fox got a good ole butt kicking from my 12 year old black lab. Mick my lab was super proud of himself and got lots of treats, and he keeps going and checking the woods where the fox got off to. hopefully he doesnt return, but if he does Mick will be waiting for him.

Back
Top Bottom