I started a page of Chicken Proof Plants

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by squeakyballs, Sep 4, 2010.

1. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    (I have fire sticks , birds of paradise, honey suckle, and texas privetts growing in their yard and they havnt touched them)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:really? my chickens love honey suckle.

3. saltdean norm

saltdean norm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    will keep an eye on this thread and the page of plants. i've asked a question in the coop section about fencing off vegetable plots if anyone has experience to share.
    thanks
    norm

4. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
  5. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Off hand I can add chives to your list, they eat the flowers but leave the rest of the plant. I'll check and see if I can figure out the names of the other living things out there.

Thanks for putting together this list! I'll use it!

6. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:i heard that morning glory is poisonous??? any one know for sure? i would love to plant morning glory along my run because its a fast grower and does well with low water.

if it is poisonous, any ideas on a fast growing vine?? full sun??

Don't bother with potato vine. I thought it was a good idea to cover a fence, but the hens made short shrift of it. I got another one I'm trying to protect with very strong & tight mesh.

7. Lennie

Lennie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I have a huge potato vine that is about 10 ft tall by 6 ft wide. My chickens use the shade underneath it but do NOT eat any parts of it. They also don't touch mint, a certain drought tolerant ground cover that I can't remember the name of, bunch grasses, evening primrose, Hebe 'Coed' (shrub), Pride of Madeira (shrub), 4 o'clock (shrub), most succulents, english ivy (probably poisonous to them), agaves. I also have tons of geranium that don't seem to generate any interest other than the shade and bugs, worms, snails underneath. They don't touch any of the lillys, canas, callas, etc. either.

8. MJCooper42

MJCooper42 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Stafford
  9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the lists MJCooper!

A lot of the plants on the Safe Plant list are ones they will devour whole...

And the list of Toxic Plants... I wouldn't dice that stuff up and mix it into their food bowl... but a lot of people have posted that they are growing plants that are considered "toxic", but have never had a sick chicken.

I think the chickens are a little like the wild birds and generally know what they can't eat. Even if they did eat them, most of the plants wouldn't do much besides cause a stomach ache (and then the critter probably wouldn't give it another try).

Plus, that list was created for reptiles (look at the bottom).

It is something to keep in mind though. Plant at your own risk [​IMG]

10. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by