I started my new chicken tractor for my meat birds

I made my tractors out or 2"x2" i ripped down from a bunch of salvaged treated 2x4 i had. i used a tarp on mine as well i got 3 seasons work of use out of the tarps. But my biggest issue was the wind one spring my tractor actually picked up and flew across my yard and across the road, im just glad there was no birds in it at the time. How much does the PVC weight im just scared if i built one out of PVC it would be even lighter and blow around more.

Quote:
Wow, I can't imagine a 2x2 tractor blowing away! I used to have one and the thing was so heavy I could harldy move it, which is why I went to the PVC. I've never had an issue, but if winds are strong, I stake mine down, as it definitely could blow over.

So if the runs are 10 x 10 are you making each section 5 X 5?
I also noticed that one corner is doubled. What is the purpose of that?
And what is the purpose of the center diamond area?
I am just thinking of how many pieces would be needed.
Also, are you welding/gluing them them together at the joints or just sticking them together?

In order to stop from blowing away I would think you could use a 3 sectioned corner connector and run 1/2 - 3/4 inch rebar and pound it down about a foot and pull if out to move every day. I am thinking about raising meats birds next year as this is my first as back yard chicken guy. I was thinking of starting with 25 - 50 birds for my first go round.

On another note can some tell the ratio of feed that would be needed for 50 birds for say 7 weeks?
And what kind of price can you get per pound for these birds? I work with a lot of people that are buying eggs from me this year and would be interested in meat if I get them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think the doubled corner you're referring to would be the door opening. I'm not sure what the diamond center is- I left it off mine. For the total number of pieces, go to www.pvcplans.com. They lay it out pretty well. They tell you not to glue them, but I found that you need to glue the center section after the whole thing is built, in order to keep it together while moving it. The section of rebar is exactly how I keep mine down. As for feed, I figure 500 pounds for every 25 birds at 8 weeks

jaku,

Thanks for the link to the tractor. Will come in very handy. Wondering if this would work for Turkeys as well and how much taller it would need to be made.

So your food is about 20lbs of food per bird. Good to know.

And thanks again.

Okay, I think I am going to try one of these. Did you guys do as directed by Jaku's link and leave most of it unglued? Because my hardware cloth is mostly 4' tall, I think I will build it 8'x10'. Think that will work?

what is the purpose of having them in a tractor? is it so they can "free range"? we have a coop with 11 laying chickens and are thinking about getting meaties in the spring. we were just planning on putting them in the coop with the layers. would that be ok, or do i need to build a tractor for the meaties?

Back
Top Bottom