I stepped on a nail!

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
Last Friday, I stepped on a nail. I had been so careful, and should know better, but it happened. It really didn't hurt went through my shoe, it was not a big nail, but yes it was rusty and in the coop yard. I had not had a tetanus shot since 2011, when I accidently cut my finger processing roosters, and needed stitches. You are supposed to get in to get your shot if you don't have it with in 48 hrs. I was thinking about getting that shot because even recently I had a metal sign "21 and over pool sign" hit my leg in Las Vegas. It was time.

Last Friday, I stepped on a nail. I had been so careful, and should know better, but it happened. It really didn't hurt went through my shoe, it was not a big nail, but yes it was rusty and in the coop yard. I had not had a tetanus shot since 2011, when I accidently cut my finger processing roosters, and needed stitches. You are supposed to get in to get your shot if you don't have it with in 48 hrs. I was thinking about getting that shot because even recently I had a metal sign "21 and over pool sign" hit my leg in Las Vegas. It was time.

Every 10 years or in my case, when you get cut, stuck, stabbed and can’t remember your last shot.

every two or three years mandatory Where I used to work. And their medical dept. would provide for free. Been 4 yrs since my last one and almost 2 yrs since I've retired. I get wounded fairly often just workin around the place doin stuff I probably shouldn't be doin. May ask the PCP about it next time I go in.

Right- the good thing I did have a thick shoe, so germs had to go past the sole, and hopefully wiped off germs, then I soaked my foot in antibacterial bowl.

I stepped on a nail. I had been so careful, and should know better, but it happened. It really didn't hurt went through my shoe, it was not a big nail, but yes it was rusty
Crazy how fear mongered we are about rusty stuff.. when we could even get tetanus from a broken arm.. the bacteria are found in our gut..

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tetanus/symptoms-causes/syc-20351625

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/tetanus

Tetanus is highly over sensationalized. There were 300 recorded deaths in history from it, ever, before the vaccine. It dies in the slightest presence of oxygen (which is why your granny told you to make everything bleed...the oxygen in your blood is enough to kill it) and we have a foolproof post exposure treatment if you do develop symptoms called immunoglobulin. The vaccine won't do anything post exposure btw, so going for a shot is pointless. The biggest danger is wounds which have a necrotizing aspect preventing internal blood flow but which had external exposure during the injury, like crush injuries.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom