I stepped on my Quail! Help me!

We can only hope! That's the problem with having birds... when they're hurt or sick or whatever, they don't tell us about it. We have to work really hard to know what our featherbabies look like when they're feeling their best, so we can recognize when they're sending those tiny little clues that tell us they're not feeling their best.

Yes!
As a student whom decided to accept one of the Quails that our class had hatched during our Cultures class, I basically adopted Hatchet without any knowledge of how to handle him.

I have learnt so much from the week I've had him, and I am truly discovering an odd bonding experience that I never thought I would have with such a small creature.

You live, you learn. You grow babies, you learn x10!

@Octavian Echoes, it may take quite awhile, but an admin should see the previous message, and they may relocate this thread to the Emergencies forum, so perhaps others might speak up with different opinions or ideas. After all, I am NOT an avian biology expert, or a vet, or anything other than just a person who owns featherbabies, has raised them for years (some species longer than others), and likes to help others.

Yes!
As a student whom decided to accept one of the Quails that our class had hatched during our Cultures class, I basically adopted Hatchet without any knowledge of how to handle him.

I have learnt so much from the week I've had him, and I am truly discovering an odd bonding experience that I never thought I would have with such a small creature.

You live, you learn. You grow babies, you learn x10!

They will do that to you! LOL! One suggestion, if you could find your little fella another feathered companion, that would be beneficial to him. Do you know for certain that he's a he? Birds always do better with more than one of a species together; they're naturally flock animals, and will feel stressed or frightened or unhappy alone. If you knew for certain that he was a he, you could have an easier time of it getting a member of the opposite gender as a companion.

I got in the same situation, my girlfriend stepped on my baby 1-week old quail. Now his head is one sided and he cant walk straight or even stand normally. Is he gonna be okay?

Take it to the vet! It sounds like something is broken.
He is able to run now, eat and drink and poop normally. The only problem left is his sleepy, crooked head. I can't take him to the vet as I'm living too far from the city centre, no vet here :(

I stepped on my Baby Quail of 1 week.
Now, one of Hatchet's legs does not seem to function properly. I have examined the area, and I've concluded that his foot/leg is not broken. I am also able to flex/unflex his leg and he does not seem to feel any pain from this.

The problem is, he is limbing! He can stand on both legs, yet when we decides to go anywhere, he is jumping from his malfunctioning leg to his functioning leg.

He is sleeping more than usual, he is adventuring to his food/water sources, and he is very quiet; he's not shaking, and he's not quailing for my presence.

I need to ease my mind: Is this type of injury normal? Will he be able to heal? Is he suffering?
i’ve had these type of injuries happen several times and every time is equally scary!! 9 times out of 10, they will recover and be just fine!! give your little one some extra TLC and watch it but my guess it will be fine in a couple weeks!!

i’ve had these type of injuries happen several times and every time is equally scary!! 9 times out of 10, they will recover and be just fine!! give your little one some extra TLC and watch it but my guess it will be fine in a couple weeks!!
Does they tilt their heads to one side and do it continuously, over and over again? Cuz mine is doing that and while doing so, he cant keep himself balance and tips over all the time.
He could run now, but not straight

Does they tilt their heads to one side and do it continuously, over and over again? Cuz mine is doing that and while doing so, he cant keep himself balance and tips over all the time.
He could run now, but not straight
the crooked neck sounds more typical of a hatch defect (being stuck/malpositioned in the egg too long) than injury related. In those cases, I have lost several within the first week but have also seen them survive to maturity. in those cases, just ensure they are able to eat and drink and are not getting bullied by the others but I would not attempt to use one as a breeder.

the crooked neck sounds more typical of a hatch defect (being stuck/malpositioned in the egg too long) than injury related. In those cases, I have lost several within the first week but have also seen them survive to maturity. in those cases, just ensure they are able to eat and drink and are not getting bullied by the others but I would not attempt to use one as a breeder.
Actually my little guy has a crooked neck right after being stepped on, I'm sure of that

Back
Top Bottom