I supplemented Light but they still aren't laying

How much was the start up cost? photocells can be pretty expensive. We plan to eventually make our whole house solar power but after I pay off all those darn student loans :( Right now I estimate the light will cost $4/month; but I'll only have to use it October-February since we have lots of light here in the sunshine state
Photocell was around $5

Since I already installed electricity for the water heater, the lighting system cost under $30.

One interesting side note about lighting--lighting skewed more towards the "red" end of the spectrum improves rate of lay as compared to lighting skewed more towards the "blue" end of the spectrum.

Although you'd likely not see any noticeable change in rate of lay in a backyard flock based on lighting spectrum range, it's something that becomes significant in larger populations.

One interesting side note about lighting--lighting skewed more towards the "red" end of the spectrum improves rate of lay as compared to lighting skewed more towards the "blue" end of the spectrum.

Although you'd likely not see any noticeable change in rate of lay in a backyard flock based on lighting spectrum range, it's something that becomes significant in larger populations.

Oh, it makes a difference. I had one of the "cooler" bulbs installed a few years back when I didn't know much about them. Was hoping to save on wattage and installed those new CFL's. Nothing was happening as far as kick starting the hens. I then learned about the "warm" end of the light spectrum and the "cool" end. Found out I was using a "cool" bulb. Once I switched to the "warm" bulb the girls started up after a few weeks.

Oh, it makes a difference. I had one of the "cooler" bulbs installed a few years back when I didn't know much about them. Was hoping to save on wattage and installed those new CFL's. Nothing was happening as far as kick starting the hens. I then learned about the "warm" end of the light spectrum and the "cool" end. Found out I was using a "cool" bulb. Once I switched to the "warm" bulb the girls started up after a few weeks.

I know it does! I was used to layer populations in the 165,000 to 250,000 range per house. At larger population levels, statistically significant changes are easy to track.

It's not something that you'd really think of as making much of a difference, but it really does.

.....ooooorrrrrr.....was it just timing??

It takes 4-6 weeks,
after the light length has reached 12-14 hours,
before it will effect the pineal gland to stimulate laying.

The lighting spectrum actually does have an effect on egg-laying

True story--when I was working in the layer industry, we had a guy purchase a bunch of CFL bulbs to replace the incandescents we were using on one of the farms. He thought he was doing something wonderful because the sales guy told him they would cut electrical usage on the farm, and, over time, the savings would more than offset the increased bulb cost.

He didn't bother to look at the Kelvin rating on the bulbs, and as it happened, they were very much on the blue end of the spectrum. After he had them installed, production took a nose-dive, and this is on a farm that had 3.2 million hens at lay.

When the owners saw the weekly reports, they hit the roof because the drop in production was pretty significant. After finding out what happened, the CFL bulbs were replaced with incandescents that were skewed towards the red end of the spectrum, et voila, production came back to where it should be.

So what you saying is a "daylight" led in the 5000k range would not be as effective as a "warm" light in the 2500k range? I love the LEDs so I'd like to stay with them but if they aren't doing any good I'll have to rethink that. I've got 9 layers and have been getting 2-4 eggs a day

Wish I knew that sooner. Our sun still rises around 6:30am and sets at 6:15pm (although the girls tend to go into their coop for bedtime at 5ish. Our coop and run is 10x12 for 7 chickens. We have a 500 amp work light that comes on at 3am and off at 6:30am. Because I apparently shocked them, should I turn it off and start over? Glad to know it takes almost a month because I was getting worried for their systems. I know its nice to give them a break but am missing my eggs :(
The idea of resting laying hens is somewhat scientifically unproven. In the tropics where most daylight is 12 hours in duration with the hours of darkness about as long, hens still lay almost as well as they do with artificial light.

One thing that I have been told is that in tropical regions the molt is more aligned with the age of the bird experiencing the molt than with the amount of light working on the hens hormonal system. Maybe someone close to the Equator can shed more light on the subject of how well hens lay with 12 hours of light and the effect that a constant amount of Sunlight has on both egg production and the molt?

So what you saying is a "daylight" led in the 5000k range would not be as effective as a "warm" light in the 2500k range? I love the LEDs so I'd like to stay with them but if they aren't doing any good I'll have to rethink that. I've got 9 layers and have been getting 2-4 eggs a day

Right.

Four eggs a day from nine birds at this time of year is not bad. My hens usually don't lay at this time of year. Days are too short and it is starting to get colder. I do have some pullets that are starting up though.

Back
Top Bottom