I swear my chicks are bigger than yesterday!

jeria

Songster
May 5, 2017
Independence MO
Can these chick almost grow while you watch them? I picked mine up yesterday, supposed to have been shipped as day old on the 31st so 4 days old now. I'm sure they are bigger than yesterday and it seems like they are bigger at 5pm than they were at 7am. The 4 have almost devoured a quart of food and nearly 1.5 quarts of water with nutra-drench added since I put them in their brooder space. Adding a pan of dirt tomorrow to their space.

IMG_0458.JPG

Can these chick almost grow while you watch them? I picked mine up yesterday, supposed to have been shipped as day old on the 31st so 4 days old now. I'm sure they are bigger than yesterday and it seems like they are bigger at 5pm than they were at 7am. The 4 have almost devoured a quart of food and nearly 1.5 quarts of water with nutra-drench added since I put them in their brooder space. Adding a pan of dirt tomorrow to their space.

At the age you mentioned your chicks should be larger today than they were yesterday. If everything goes well a broiler-fryer type chick will reach slaughter weight in only 4 weeks. In other words the genetic potential for rapid weight gain is in each and every chick hatched.

I remember that now from when I had a combo of meat and layer chicks once back in the 80's. The meat breeds were easy to spot very quickly. I did butcher a few before the coyotes got the flock but never again will I do meat chicks, just not me to butcher them.

The smallest is the Aussie and she is feisty! The 2 Easter Eggers are the mellowest, the rock somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom