I think Barbie might not be a girl, pics included

comerrick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
and I need a conformation. I have started seeing her peck at the older and well extablished top hen for pecking order, when just a few months ago, she would have had her head taken off by the other hens but then again.....it could be mounting. It could be obvious that Barbie is a rooster. It would be my first flock and my first rooster. I heard light crowing the other day but I thought it could have been one of the 4 packing peanuts that came in June. This is also my first barred rock. So tell me, is Barbie a Boy?
Lov
Liv
101_0363.jpg

101_0364.jpg

101_0365.jpg

I'm saying yes to a rooster too! But it would be best to have a pic of just the chicken without being held so we can see the whole body to tell if he has saddle feathers and his tail growth...

Yep it is a rooster and most likely a cuckoo Marans.

ETA: I say Marans because of his white legs and his coloring isn't crisp like a Barred Rock should be.

Last edited:
How do you accidently get a beautiful specimen of a Cuckoo Marans Rooster (Cuckoo feather pattern, coloring, leg color) that a lot of Marans fans would drool over? He really appears to be a nice sturdy guy, you could be well on your way to excellent breeding stock! That, or breed him to a blue egg layer, and their offspring could give you the olive egg layers! Funny, what you get in a box? Surprise! It's not a Barbie at all!

Tina/tfpets

Back
Top Bottom