I think he is a she..

Klinelady

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
We have 4 chickens ranging in age from 6-7 mo. We just started getting eggs in the past week we have also started having problems with what I thought was my largest and my only egg laying hen. She has become very aggressive (always been the leader) she attaches our feet and tonight pecked my 1.5 yr old. What you do think!?

Hello again. We just met in the New Member section. It looks like you have a cockerel. If he is aggressive, he needs to go before he seriously injures your child (like putting an eye out). It's just not worth the risk, nor do you want that kind of aggression bred into your flock. Sorry. :eek:(

X2 Hello Again, what Michael said, that is a cockerel, you really don't want an aggressive one around young children.

Thanks so much! I was shocked as it seems he just turned. He was so gentle, not now. Will be calling tomorrow to see who can take him. Thanks so much!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Well, the good news is everyone else in your pics is female
smile.png
. I'm betting your egg is coming from your other red hen, she's got a nicely developed comb.

If you're worried about neighbors and the noise, you can try confining your big guy in a box somewhere dark, like in the garage with a blanket over him (ensuring airflow, of course!) if you'll be able to get rid of him soon.

If that cockerel is a hatchery rhode island red, then it is not uncommon for them to just...turn. I have heard more than 1 story, including my best friend's roo. Though, I believe that when bought from a breeder, they are more gentle.

Back
Top Bottom