1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I already know, but....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HenOnTheHill, Oct 7, 2013.

1. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill Out Of The Brooder

This is Gwen. "She" is super friendly and sweet, a typical wyandotte. But this weekend, I realized in a sudden burst of terrifying enlightenment that suddenly "she" is looking more like a "he." Am I right? Gwen is in the 20 week range age wise.

The other peculiar thing is that sometime in the last week, the tip of her/his top beak got broken off. This fortunately hasn't affected eating/foraging at all, but I have no idea how it could have happened. I do have another roo (barred rock) who is about the same age, though more developed. Could this type of damage be the result in a duel? I've never witnessed them going at it (yet!) and have not found any other evidence, but I'm trying to piece together the puzzle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Penny is the hen on the left. Gwen is the ___________? on the right.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually Gwen is a rooster, he has the typical rooster wing patch, his comb is also redder and bigger than your pullet's, and I can see saddle feathers.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2
    Those red bars on the shoulders and patchiness of coloring (vs. the lacing on the pullet) and the saddle feathers.
    Pretty boy.
    Lady of McCamley

4. HenOnTheHill

Yep, that's what I was afraid of! He is a pretty boy (thanks!)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, Gwen's a rooster! He has the typical coloring of a male BLRW (darker red coloring on the wing), and I see some saddle feathers. Beautiful bird!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He is going to be gorgeous! What a stunning pair they'll make when he's mature.

7. bantygirl

bantygirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Gwen has saddle feathers roo

8. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    X2! Yes they will be stunning!!!

9. HenOnTheHill

Thanks everyone for confirming Mr. Gwen's status as a rooster. He has always been super friendly and I am hoping he and my other roos can sort things out and get along. Right now the count is 11 hens to 3 roos...not very good odds unless two of the roos lay low. As pretty as my barred rock is, and as sweet as my marans is, I think Mr. Gwen would win the beauty pageant. ;) Time will tell. Any ideas on his beak breakage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by