I think I am allergic to my hens

I've been noticing for the past three days that after I sit by my brooder and visit my six golden comets my lungs feel kind of a mild burning sensation, my eyes feel dry and kind of itchy, and I'm mildly congested, my nose feels dry and burning. I'm not allergic to anything else, eo if I'm allergic to my chickens, what can I do? Do I have to rehome them? I don't want to do that! Can I take Benadryl everyday indefinitely? Should I buy an OSHA mask from Lowe's? This is a disaster.

Last edited:
My neighbor just called and asked if I wanted his 4 Isa's. He said he had a reaction to them, which at first he thought was food poisoning, that landed him in intensive care. A woman from the county contacted him to find out where he had been eating recently, and the conversation somehow turned to him having chickens. At that point she concluded that it was the chickens that made him have this type of reaction. She informed him that it was the 3rd case in the county this year and his was by far the most severe. Anyone ever have food poisoning type symptoms from their birds on here? First I'd heard of anything like this.

"Anyone ever have food poisoning type symptoms from their birds on here? First I'd heard of anything like this."

I know this post is 5 years old, but this is the only thing I came across that related food poisoning symptoms to a live chicken allergy. That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Because we get cougars and foxes and raccoons, I bring my hens in at night. I didn't have any problem with the first 2 I got, but the 2 new ones I got this last weekend have made me have food poisoning symptoms like crazy. I thought it was either the Cheetos or the hamburger met I ate (I don't usually eat corn or red meat). But this is worth looking into.

I know this post is 5 years old, but this is the only thing I came across that related food poisoning symptoms to a live chicken allergy. That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Because we get cougars and foxes and raccoons, I bring my hens in at night. I didn't have any problem with the first 2 I got, but the 2 new ones I got this last weekend have made me have food poisoning symptoms like crazy. I thought it was either the Cheetos or the hamburger met I ate (I don't usually eat corn or red meat). But this is worth looking into.
Welcome To BYC

Food poisoning symptoms sounds like it could possibly be Salmonella or Campylobacter. If you are not well, then it's time to seek advise from your medical doctor. https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/about/blog/2017/cuddling-chickens

You mention you are bringing the hens in at night - is that in your house or are they staying outside in a secure coop?
Washing hands thoroughly after handling chickens and doing chores can greatly reduce the chances of becoming sick. Changing clothes wouldn't hurt either.

Wear a mask when cleaning coops/run, you don't need to breath in the dust from their dander, bedding or poop.

Welcome To BYC

Food poisoning symptoms sounds like it could possibly be Salmonella or Campylobacter. If you are not well, then it's time to seek advise from your medical doctor. https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/about/blog/2017/cuddling-chickens

You mention you are bringing the hens in at night - is that in your house or are they staying outside in a secure coop?
Washing hands thoroughly after handling chickens and doing chores can greatly reduce the chances of becoming sick. Changing clothes wouldn't hurt either.

Wear a mask when cleaning coops/run, you don't need to breath in the dust from their dander, bedding or poop.
A friend who has chickens suggested ecoli. I figure one of those is probably it. I have the coop inside for now until I can probably secure part of the yard for them (we get raccoons, foxes, sometimes even cougars). Our 2 newest hens are incredibly messy poopers (also less friendly) and constantly step in it then on each other. I've needed to change clothes every time I carry them to or from the coop. So far I'm on day 2 of the symptoms. If it doesn't wane by tomorrow night, I will go to the Dr for sure. I will also use masks and gloves when carrying them now.

A friend who has chickens suggested ecoli. I figure one of those is probably it. I have the coop inside for now until I can probably secure part of the yard for them (we get raccoons, foxes, sometimes even cougars). Our 2 newest hens are incredibly messy poopers (also less friendly) and constantly step in it then on each other. I've needed to change clothes every time I carry them to or from the coop. So far I'm on day 2 of the symptoms. If it doesn't wane by tomorrow night, I will go to the Dr for sure. I will also use masks and gloves when carrying them now.
Sounds like they need more space if they are constantly stepping on one another.

Hopefully you can get your outdoor space set-up soon. In the meantime, practice good hygiene and change clothes.

I hope you feel better soon, I'm sorry your not well.

Hi, we were trying to establish a pattern so I did go at different times of the day. Its not something I eat because its usually before breakfast or before dinner.

Its definitely a contact allergy rather than a breathing allergy. As you mentioned, something is touching my lips, which is more sensitive than other areas of my face, and I am reacting to it. I have tried touching my lips with clean pine shaving, DE, and their food- no reaction. I've also tried their feathers which they have dropped- no reaction.

The idea of wipes is definitely one to investigate further. I'll give my vet a call and see if she knows what kind I can try.

I just returned from cleaning their coop, picking one up and holding her, and petting another when she was in my lap- no reaction. But no one flew to my shoulder today since I was careful not to offer it (we are going out with friends tonight).

Thanks for all suggestions!
I see this is an old post but.... I just started my little flock of 6 chickens 4 months ago and ever since, I have the swollen lips. They also get very dry and irritated. Went on vacation last week and they totally cleared up within about 4 days. Got back yesterday and my lips are already swollen. Yes I messed with the chickens alot last night. I was thinking it could be allergy to our recently installed water softener but after reading this, I'm thinking it's my chickens. DID YOU FIND A CURE? Or figure out anymore about this?

I see this is an old post but.... I just started my little flock of 6 chickens 4 months ago and ever since, I have the swollen lips. They also get very dry and irritated. Went on vacation last week and they totally cleared up within about 4 days. Got back yesterday and my lips are already swollen. Yes I messed with the chickens alot last night. I was thinking it could be allergy to our recently installed water softener but after reading this, I'm thinking it's my chickens. DID YOU FIND A CURE? Or figure out anymore about this?
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry you're having trouble. It would be a good idea to consult your Primary Physician about your health condition.

Back
Top Bottom