1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I am going to have to do the unthinkable!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My hens are on strike or something because we haven't gotten an egg from any of them in about a week! [​IMG] I don't want to have to do the unthinkable and BUY them (ewww) from the store!!!!! We are out of eggs for the first time in a year! What the heck is going on here??

2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Probably the cold and decrease in amount of daylight. Mine are doing the same thing. [​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Blech! [​IMG] Can't you buy eggs from someone else who has chickens?

Store eggs are gross.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Get laying ducks. My chickens are down to 1 or 2 eggs a day, but the ducks have never slowed produtcion at all. I've got between 4 and 5 duck eggs from 5 hens every day since they started laying in June. I only have 1 egg customer who won't take duck eggs and several who like them better than chicken.

5. Bec

Quote:There is no one I know of or anywhere near me that sells fresh eggs! [​IMG]

6. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Get the brown ones, close your eyes, and ack! Fake it!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My hens are on overtime and the ducks are shooting them out like automatic weapons! But I don't want you to feel bad........ [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

the ducks are shooting them out like automatic weapons

That is an image I didn't need in my head. [​IMG]

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    With only 3 laying hens, two of which are bantams, I'm afraid we're going to have to do the same from time to time. When we buy store bought eggs we make sure to buy the Farm House brand CAGE FREE brown eggs. It says on the carton "From natural grain fed free roaming nesting hens" & "hand gathered large eggs" They cost a little more, but now that I have and love chickens I will never support the caged hen egg industry again.

10. Bec

I went out and had a talk with them and told them that if they don't get their butts in gear (get it? butts?? HA) That they are going to have to get their sticks and bags and get walkin' on down the road!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by