i think i can feel an egg - broody or egg bound???????

mynamehere

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Lakeland, FL
My silkie started acting funny last thursday (feb 12) and wouldnt leave the nest box after friday.

I went out of town (funeral) and when i returned she still was in the same box - i think she left the nest once in a while becasue there was no poo in the nest.

I thought maybe she was egg bound, so i brought her in and soaked her in warm water. All i got were a couple of huge poos. (one a day, roughly)

She is very very warm. And i swear i can feel an egg under her left leg. (or is it something else) I massage her, soak her, keep her in the bathroom with the heater on while hse is wet. Heater goes off when she is dry. She shivers constantly and i really think she is trying to push a lot. She eats (especially traets) but i have never seen her drink.

what else.... oh yeah - she keeps her but up in the air - espically when i reach for her. And sometimes she spreads her wings out a little and fluffs up. Sometimes she acts like she wants to be 'serviced' if you know what i mean.

If she is eggbound, wouldnt she be dead already - its been almost a week? I am really hoping that she is broody as opposed to egg bound, but i really think i can feel an egg, and it hasnt moved.

help help help.....please. this is so time consuming, i spend hours with her everday between the butt soaking, and drying and massaging. I will feel pretty silly if she is broody after all this effort, but welcome the idea of her having a non-life threatenting condition.

i gave her two of my bantam eggs today when i went home for lunch.

She immediatley pulled them under her and gave an official squat.

My gosh.... i think she's broody.

woo hoooooo - grand kids on the way!!!

I hope anyway - i forgot to mention that her eggs usually had a little blood on them, and were much longer (funny shaped) than my other silkies eggs.

Hopefully someone here can offer an opinion - (hint hint)

Yep, she sounds broody.
Unfortunatly, because of their feathers, silkies can't keep them selves cool when its warm, or keep themselves warm when its cold as well as most chickens, so I wouldn't recommend putting her in any more water.

Back
Top Bottom