I think I "cooked" my eggs!

Chickhick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2010
North Alabama
Ohhh, I am just sick this morning! I looked at the temp in the incubator and it said about 105! I just put the eggs in last night, and I thought the temp had gotten stable, but apparently not. Are they all dead now for sure?
hit.gif
It has only been 5 hours since I left them to go to bed. I'm so mad at myself because these were replacement eggs for a damaged and late batch that the non-broken ones are set in my better incubator. I was going to swap them out because these had such a better chance of hatching out well, having come in a more timely manner, but at the last minute decided just to leave the other ones in the other bator. And now I can't swap out, because then I'd probably ruin any chance of any of them hatching.
barnie.gif
I guess I'm hoping someone says not to be too panicked because it is only the first day, or that it was only 5 hours or something to give me hope. But I want the truth... are they all dead?

eh, I wouldn't stress.....you still have a chance of them making it. Since they are very early they are all fluid still, takes a while for the egg temp to get up.....
Just candle in a few days
big_smile.png
Have heard of worse spikes in temp early and getting them to hatch....
hugs.gif

Krista, thank you for the words of comfort. It does make me feel better.
smile.png
I hope I can see something when candling, as most of these are very dark and speckledy Welsummers. Now I'm going to just sit around watching the thermometer in the incubator!

Don't worry yet
smile.png

I have 3 week old chicks that was hatched at my Daughter's school. The bator hit 104 over-night early on. No idea
how long it was that high since nobody was there to watch.

BUT...they all hatched! Out of 18 total, 14 chicks
smile.png

Just go on as normal and candle at day 7 to see what is developing.

You set them last night and they spiked to 105 within the first 6 hours or so? They'll be fine! Just keep an eye on that temp to make sure it stabilizes now.

Whew.. I got it stabilized now. It's been where it should be for all morning now.
thumbsup.gif
I keep looking every few minutes just to be sure.
yippiechickie.gif

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it isn't consistently that high. In the first few daysof my eggs being in the incubator mine went up to 117 degrees (my incubator temps fluctuated alot where the incubator was but I moved it and since then the temps have been really stable). I candled my eggs thinking they were totally fried but I see lots of movement in them. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom