I think I got gyped

They are probably much better off with you! You rescued them, it seems. Just wait! After a few months of good food, clean water, and kindness, you won't even recognize them! If they are 1 yr old, they'll still lay. Give them time. Stress stops laying for a while.

Umm I am perhaps overly caring. I gotta remember that I can’t do everything. Like I said a sec ago. Electric fence and cameras too lol

Oh I will def get them better feed I thought 16 percent is good. I am the most over protective person so I don’t like to know they are doing without. Esp security I am debating on putting an electric fence to protect against raccoons and others. I was told about weasels and they are freaking me out. They do small and vicious I’m hoping I secured it well enough.

I was told to watch for small holes only ones I haven’t secured are on the top of the metal roof. Hope they can’t climb that high in.

See front of coop
16 percent is usually fine, but since their feather quality is so poor a little extra protein wouldn't hurt. (i.e. 20% or something. However most 20% feed is sold as either chick starter/grower or an all flock type feed which does not include calcium. So if you go that route you should probably supplement with a calcium source such as oyster shell).

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, if 16% layer is what you have then that's fine.

I don't have experience with weasels, and my flock has never had an attack from raccoons. So I wouldn't be able to help you there. Your coop looks okay; maybe as you said something could get in through the top (rodents perhaps?). What does your run look like?

I would definitely get more predators than most people because we live right next to a small forest

I live next to a wooded area as well but not a huge one. I know I have seen raccoons possums and hawks but was also told to watch for foxes and weasels as well. Never saw those though. And I have several cameras but it’s possible weasels are too small to active the motion sensor.

Hi, you've gotten some excellent suggestions here and I'm sure your flock will prosper in your care. The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is grit, which you should offer free-choice in a separate container, like the oyster shell. They need it for digestion. The oyster shell helps make good egg shells, of course. You probably already know this stuff, I don't believe you are a "Newbie Moron" for a minute, lol! 😉

Congratulations on your new girls! You'll have them looking good in no time and their beauty will really shine through. I like to feed my all girl flock a higher protein layer feed (Nutrena Hearty Hen), but it's really personal preference. Best wishes to you and your flock!

16 percent is usually fine, but since their feather quality is so poor a little extra protein wouldn't hurt. (i.e. 20% or something. However most 20% feed is sold as either chick starter/grower or an all flock type feed which does not include calcium. So if you go that route you should probably supplement with a calcium source such as oyster shell).

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, if 16% layer is what you have then that's fine.

I don't have experience with weasels, and my flock has never had an attack from raccoons. So I wouldn't be able to help you there. Your coop looks okay; maybe as you said something could get in through the top (rodents perhaps?). What does your run look like?

The pic was not the finished product I added 1/2 in hardware cloth as well. The run is still a work in progress as it’s 70 percent 1 x 2 fencing and 30 hardware cloth. Ultimately I want to get all hardware cloth and bury it. Plus use wood posts to add netting on top to protect against hawks. Ideally I want it to be 7 feet tall so I comfortably walk around in it. The run is about 16‘ x 16‘ or so.

The pic was not the finished product I added 1/2 in hardware cloth as well. The run is still a work in progress as it’s 70 percent 1 x 2 fencing and 30 hardware cloth. Ultimately I want to get all hardware cloth and bury it. Plus use wood posts to add netting on top to protect against hawks. Ideally I want it to be 7 feet tall so I comfortably walk around in it. The run is about 16‘ x 16‘ or so.
Sounds good! Looks like you're really going to take care of your new hens. :)

Back
Top Bottom