I think i hatched dalmations😂

Does your black orpington carry the blue feathering gene? Is he bbs- blue, black, splash?
As someone else said, a black chicken cannot "carry" the gene for blue feathers. If a chicken has the blue gene, they show blue feathers (one copy of the blue gene) or splash feathers (two copies of the blue gene.) A chicken that looks black must be pure for not-blue. The blue gene affects all black on the chicken, but not red or gold shades. So it turns a black chicken blue, or a Black Tailed Buff chicken into a Blue Tailed Buff chicken, or a Black Laced Red chicken into a Blue Laced Red chicken, and so forth.

Lavender (also called "self blue") is different in two main ways.
One, it is a recessive gene. This means one copy of the lavender gene has no visible effect, but two copies of the lavender gene do have a visible effect.
Two, lavender affects both black and red. So black becomes lavender (light gray) and red becomes a cream shade. Examples: Black becomes Lavender, Mille Fleur becomes Porcelain, Black Breasted Red becomes Isabella, etc.

Yellow with spots like that is usually the result of having one copy of dominant white on a black background. My guess would be those are from your RSLs, as they often have one copy of dominant white as well and should pass it on to roughly half of their offspring. The chicks should be mostly white with black flecks and probably some red leakage as adults.

Cute babies! ❤️
That sounds so pretty!!!😍😍😍 my favorite thing after watching the little buggers hatch is watching their feathers change and their personalities come through. I've tried to read about genetics but I get through a paragraph and have no idea what I've read.🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Here's an update so far..I've got 3 of the very black ones( not sure who theyre from my sex links, black jersey giant or buff orpie) 3 yellow ones with spots like in the 2nd photo, I bought 5 lavendar orpies from farm and fleet, the gray one is from my blue orpie and guessing my black orpie roo, the little yellow fluff ball in the 5th pic is from Sugar Pie my leghorn hen and the last pic is the one that hatched today my first duck hatch from my 2 Pekin ducks. I've got 2 more I'm waiting on but I think only 1 is alive. The darker black ones and the yellow fluffy ball are smaller than the rest any chance it's because they could be from my bantam roo?? I think he's an old english..if not very similar colors to one.

Attachments

• 20220522_170134.jpg
    20220522_170134.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220522_170206.jpg
    20220522_170206.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220522_165959.jpg
    20220522_165959.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220522_170223.jpg
    20220522_170223.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220521_124446.jpg
    20220521_124446.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220522_174518.jpg
    20220522_174518.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 5
Here's an update so far..
Cute chicks!

The darker black ones and the yellow fluffy ball are smaller than the rest any chance it's because they could be from my bantam roo?? I think he's an old english..if not very similar colors to one.
Did they hatch out of smaller eggs? Chicks usually grow to fit the size egg they are in, then after hatching they grow according to their genetics.

I have also seen some chicks that have fluffier or less fluffy down, and that can make them look bigger or smaller.

I suppose there is a chance the rooster caused the chicks to be smaller at hatch time, but it really seems unlikely to me.

Here's an update so far..I've got 3 of the very black ones( not sure who theyre from my sex links, black jersey giant or buff orpie) 3 yellow ones with spots like in the 2nd photo, I bought 5 lavendar orpies from farm and fleet, the gray one is from my blue orpie and guessing my black orpie roo, the little yellow fluff ball in the 5th pic is from Sugar Pie my leghorn hen and the last pic is the one that hatched today my first duck hatch from my 2 Pekin ducks. I've got 2 more I'm waiting on but I think only 1 is alive. The darker black ones and the yellow fluffy ball are smaller than the rest any chance it's because they could be from my bantam roo?? I think he's an old english..if not very similar colors to one.
You have some good looking chicks

Cute chicks!

Did they hatch out of smaller eggs? Chicks usually grow to fit the size egg they are in, then after hatching they grow according to their genetics.

I have also seen some chicks that have fluffier or less fluffy down, and that can make them look bigger or smaller.

I suppose there is a chance the rooster caused the chicks to be smaller at hatch time, but it really seems unlikely to me.
I think I had 2 small eggs but I have 4 small chicks. The 3 very dark ones and a little yellow one who is shorter and rounder I remember came from my white leghorn who lays bigger. My jersey giant and orpingtons used to lay bigger eggs but now they're smaller for some reason

I think I had 2 small eggs but I have 4 small chicks. The 3 very dark ones and a little yellow one who is shorter and rounder I remember came from my white leghorn who lays bigger. My jersey giant and orpingtons used to lay bigger eggs but now they're smaller for some reason
In that case, I do not know what caused them to be smaller.

I suppose it might have been a bantam father, as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom