I think I hatched out Zebras......new pics

Well the blue hens I have I have had for at least and year and I hatche dthem out. The splash I hatched out of a blue cock and either the blue or splash hens I used to have.
The black cockerel is new, and she did not have Lavender in her flock.
I do have one new blue hen I got when I went to Lincoln, NE and bought it off of Aaron Stadler, so do not know what the genetics are behind her.

I will go back to the ASBC site and look at those pics. I am excited!

I think a zebra would take a much bigger egg...
lau.gif

sorry I will quit now...
hide.gif

With silkies, self-blue (lavender) has been bred into the blues for many years--I think it was Shorty Polston who first bred them in, George Mihalik acquired some of those and almost all his blues at least carry lavender. I bought a self-blue splash from George in 2001--that is before they started calling them lavenders, at least with silkies.

So upon reading the lavender thread at the ASBC, both my cockerel and at least one hen must carry a lavender gene?
I am amazed. I did not want a new variety, but I love it when the unexpected happens! I am quite sure I will keep them!

Those are splash silkies. Splash is a homozygous recessive trait, cross to any black and you will hatch 100% blue chicks. They'll mature white or gray white with black or dark gray spots.

No - I have hatched a lot of splash chicks in the past when I had a blue roo and they have never looked like these as chicks. I only have one splash hen and mated to a black cockerel, should not produce anyting except blue. same with blue and black, I should only get blue or black, not splash.

Yes, splash does not have striped down (unless it was something like splash partridge or some other oddity).

Lavenders shouldn't have the striping--I think it must be caused by some recessive gene that is showing up in the down but not the mature birds. The breeders that have it in their lines are breeding away from the striping.

Back
Top Bottom