I think I have a blind chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mstricer, Mar 23, 2012.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I hatched 6 FBCM about 3 weeks ago. From the beginning I thought something was off about this chick, It looked different and wasn't as alert, meaning looking around pecking things and so on. Today I go to feed them and everyone runs to the dish except this chick, it is tilting its head, standing on top of feeder and pecking where there isn't even an opening and around the openings, like it can't see where the food is. Is there anyone out there that has a blind bird and if it can integrate in the flock? Thanks, Michele

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well I've never had this problem before so I'm not much help but I'm just sort of suggesting some things.

Try holding the chick, does s/he act different when you are holding s/he? Does s/he look at you like he knows your there?

Try separating him momentarily with the food or something very tasty. Does he run right to it?

I'm just trying to see if you're sure he is blind or if he's a "special" chick.

3. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its blind. I put my hand right in front of it and it didn't flinch. I waved my hand and it sorta just sat their. It is 3 weeks old now and is healthy looks good, but I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestion?

4. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Well, keep the chick as a pet if you want to. I know that these kinds animals can be a lot of work and not everyone has the time or desire to invest in it. If it's 3 weeks old I'm guessing it's eating and drinking on its own no problem so it could finish out a pretty happy life at the right home. If you don't want to keep it, I'm sure there's someone nearby who will take in a "special needs" bird.

5. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had a blind chick, but I do have a blind rooster that I got as an adult. He does pretty well. The only problem is that I can't let him out to free range. He just keeps on walking, and my geese see him as fair game. Other than that though, he's a wonderful pet! He's been babysitting some of my chicks this spring. :)

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm going to keep her, I just will take her out of the breeding mix. I may be able to use her as a brooder. We will see. I have a nice run with elderberry bushes growing well in it and it is net covered so I think it will be fine with the other layers.
    [​IMG]
    Isn't she cut though? Sorry ignore the poo, I just saw it.

7. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]I
    I also have a 3 week old blind chick, probably a roo. He can see changes in light but that is about it. He is just keeping the chicks company in the brooder. Of course they will get excited and run by him and he just braces himself and sort of spins around. Do you think your chick needs company???

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by