I think I have a BR Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by revmichael, Sep 15, 2013.

1. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I have 4 2 week old chicks - was told they should all be female - but from what I'm seeing I have one that may be a roo - 3 of them are very dark feathers on the front and 1 is very light - the others also have tail feathers coming in and this one doesn't seem to have them yet - they are barely 2 weeks old - any ideas? I can't have a roo where I live and the place where I got them from said if I end up with a roo they will find it a good home (said the hatchery is 97% accurate with sexting).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Too early to tell for sure. At 6 weeks you'll be pretty positive.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Quote:X3

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

6. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    x5

7. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    the people at the feed store where I got them from said that the breeder is pretty good at sexing them and that he's never had a roo come through. he mentioned that they will change colors too as they mature and some will be black and others will be lighter colors - but that we'd have to wait until much later to know for sure - seems like they all look alike now with their feathers coming in other than the lighter color on the body of that one particular one.

the barred markings on the feathers that I do see all look the same too - so we'll see what happens - guess if I hear one crowing then I'll know for sure it's a roo

8. sarahswank

sarahswank Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Garden City, Kansas
    I believe your looking at their chest? That is more fluffy down and not at actual feathers.It does change color as they get older.. It will eventually disappear and real feathers will show up. Watch the wing feathers for the coloring as they are pretty quick at showing the pattern. Everyone else is correct though. By 6 weeks you will easily tell, but wait a few days and try posting photos from the side of their wing feathers then... You might get a happy answer before you spend another 4 weeks and get too attached.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by