I think I have a case of Merek’s on my hands. Long post - please read.

To be clear... I'm not trying to say that is your issue at all, just sharing the information so you have it to consider. ALL things.. will attack the weak first.

Did the other gal have snot and lethargy as well?

Snot, lethargy, and not eating... are things I haven't seen in Marek's. They are often very bright eyed and eager to eat.

I am suspecting something more respiratory... but very inexperienced in that area...

@Wyorp Rock @rebrascora @Eggcessive anything to offer here?

Permethrin is effective. :thumbsup

Not sure if part of the sentence is missing or I can't make it out... did you get the birds also?

So cool that you had a float done before just treating. :highfive:

Hoping!

OKAY back to answering questions (in doing this so out of order lol).

Her sister did not present snot or any discharge. HOWEVER. She did present open mouthed breathing, extreme weight loss, loss of function of limbs, and lethargy.

I just find it so odd, because my other birds are pretty much right where they need to be weight wise. And they are all very healthy. It just makes me feel so bad. She was such a beautiful bird a month ago.

I’m not hopeful on her making it, she is very weak. I’m hoping the fluids perk her up and they can tell me what’s going on.

The only reason I was able to do this is that his emergency charge is only $45.

OKAY back to answering questions (in doing this so out of order lol).

Her sister did not present snot or any discharge. HOWEVER. She did present open mouthed breathing, extreme weight loss, loss of function of limbs, and lethargy.

I just find it so odd, because my other birds are pretty much right where they need to be weight wise. And they are all very healthy. It just makes me feel so bad. She was such a beautiful bird a month ago.

I’m not hopeful on her making it, she is very weak. I’m hoping the fluids perk her up and they can tell me what’s going on.

The only reason I was able to do this is that his emergency charge is only $45.
Recently a BYC member lost a few birds.
One was open mouthed breathing.
Necropsy showed lungs full of fluid. Marek's was the final diagnosis.
Of course it is impossible for me to say this happened to your last bird.
Just putting this out there.

Marek's itself can cause the bird to have all kinds of symptoms or zero.
There is not set rule with the disease.

It could still be coccidia load...i would recommend you stop treating every 6 months because if they don't have an overload you are actually reducing their resistance to it...normally most chickens carry it in their gut naturally and they build up a resistance to the cocci to remain healthy it is in times of stress or prolonged wet weather that they can succumb to it she may have been stressed going into molt and her system could not handle it please sweety stop with the bi-annual treatments you could be creating a ticking time bomb. Im also very sorry for your 2 girls hopefully a necropsy will shed some light:hugs
Sounds good! I’ve only just started this routine, so luckily I haven’t been doing it for long.

And that does make sense lots of rain here lately.

Recently a BYC member lost a few birds.
One was open mouthed breathing.
Necropsy showed lungs full of fluid. Marek's was the final diagnosis.
Of course it is impossible for me to say this happened to your last bird.
Just putting this out there.

Marek's itself can cause the bird to have all kinds of symptoms or zero.
There is not set rule with the disease.

That’s what I have found as I have searched also. The vet remarked that her abdomen felt a little hot, something I hadn’t noticed. I’m honestly more leading to infection now. But birds are so damn feeble. They get one thing and can succumb to another.

That’s what I have found as I have searched also. The vet remarked that her abdomen felt a little hot, something I hadn’t noticed. I’m honestly more leading to infection now. But birds are so damn feeble. They get one thing and can succumb to another.
Same member I spoke of above....her other bird also has Marek's and a belly full of egg yolk. (Internal laying)

They also were had worms, coccidiosis and two types of bacteria present.
Marek's compromises the immune system which let's all the other things happen much easier.

Same member I spoke of above....her other bird also has Marek's and a belly full of egg yolk. (Internal laying)

They also were had worms, coccidiosis and two types of bacteria present.
Marek's compromises the immune system which let's all the other things happen much easier.

It’s so crazy how fragile they can be. Even if she does pass, at least I feel like I’ll have some kind of answer. I’ve had 2 deaths in the flock since May. A RIR that passed from EYP and thencurrent hens sister, who we culled.
I last dewormed everyone in June, so that will be coming up again soon.

Back
Top Bottom