I think I have a respiratory issue that seems to be spreading…pictures attached

Crs1

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
I had one chicken that had the congested cough. And I notice now that they eyes of several birds look buggy. And this morning more of the chickens had the sneeze cough thing going on. I give away my eggs should I stop that? What should I do
thanks
connie
9BDE052B-2673-4179-8818-EDEA5B47E876.jpeg 10AA6D3F-29BD-40FF-B614-6988F2F56D93.jpeg 625FBC3C-5473-400A-9291-079AF315029A.jpeg 5C279346-0839-4094-8D3E-1C27D02106B8.jpeg

How much ventilation in your coop?

Sunken eyes could be an indication of respiratory disease, but make sure your environment is not causing some issues. Ammonia buildup in the coop/poor ventilation can cause issues.

For those with swollen eyes, rinse those out with saline and put some Terramycin in the eyes. See if that helps.

Are these birds new to you?

Check everyone over for lice/mites while you are at it.

The coop is 8x16 and has 3 windows and ventilation at the roof overhang. I’m not a builder🤷🏻‍♀️ There is no smell of ammonia. And these birds are not new but we did add 8 about 3 months ago

The coop is 8x16 and has 3 windows and ventilation at the roof overhang. I’m not a builder🤷🏻‍♀️ There is no smell of ammonia. And these birds are not new but we did add 8 about 3 months ago
Then if there's no ammonia smell, you may be dealing with a respiratory illness. Hard to know.

Only treat birds that have symptoms - like the ones that have the sunken eyes or that have a cough. Treat the eyes and the one(s) with a cough you can try Tylosin to see if that helps.

I read in a post that if it is mg that it is contagoius. Does it transmit to the eggs and then to people. I sell some of my eggs. And I don’t want something like that to happen Or to us as the owners
Vetrymimcin eye drops is what I have will that work?

MG if that is what you are seeing, can pass through hatching eggs, although many of those eggs may not hatch. It will not affect other people who eat the eggs, and the eggs are safe to eat. I would not give them to other people who have poultry, or sell them for hatching eggs.

MG is a chronic respiratory disease that remains in a flock for the life of all those chickens and other poultry until the last bird is gone. It lasts about 3 days in the environment when all chickens are gone. Most people close their flocks to birds coming in or going out of the flock to control spread. Testing or a necropsy on a bird that dies can confirm MG.

Thank you I’m starting to feel better about the eggs. I don’t think I will be getting chickens from any one but a hatchery anymore.
I don’t sell to people with poultry on I don’t sell eggs for hatching. Breathing better:wee:thumbsup

Where do you get tylosin
I found at tractor supply but it’s injectable and very expensive. And if I try Amazon they dont show it
Can I use vetrymicin plus eye gel for the eyes
If you can get injectable Tylan50 then you can direct dose the symptomatic birds orally 3 times a day at a rate of 0.25ml per pound of weight for 5 day. This will ensure they are getting the medication instead of relying on them to drink mixed Tylosin powder.

Tylosin Powder can be found at these places online, dosing directions are on the package:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

Back
Top Bottom