I think I have a rooster...what do I do?

Thanks everyone! Based on your comments, I think I'll try to find him a home. I will post a photo anyhow to get your feedback.

Does this look like a rooster to y’all? I’m in the same boat as the original poster!

Attachments

• 5C18B6B9-6B39-4ACC-ACFC-A13CBB6A60E1.jpeg
    5C18B6B9-6B39-4ACC-ACFC-A13CBB6A60E1.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 14
I was sold 5 chicks when they were about 2 weeks old. Now that they're about 12 weeks old, I'm pretty sure one of them is a male. S/he has iridescent green feathers on his/her backside, and "its" wattle is bigger than the rest, its bigger in size, etc etc etc. My question is...

What should I do now?

I never wanted a male for a variety of reasons:

1) Since I have no experience with roosters, only hens, I don't know much..only the bad stuff, like they can be quite vicious (It's a RIR), and I have several young children, all of which interact with the girls regularly.

2) I'm not sure that I want chicks...just eggs. Ignorant question here is... how does chick hatching happen? If there is a rooster present and the assumption is that the eggs are fertilized, what happens in terms of chick development or just raw eggs for our consumption? Please forgive my chicken reproductive system ignorance.

3) I've heard roosters protect his girls. The raccoons here are like nothing I've ever seen before. We currently have a triple secured system for them ad so far they have been safe (we lost our last flock after only 5 weeks, even after being double secured). Can a rooster really put up a victorious fight to a relentless raccoon?

Anything else I should know about having a rooster?
Yes I think you would assume they are fertilized if there is a rooster with the hens, though it isn't guarenteed all will hatch. You can eat fertilized eggs

Back
Top Bottom