I think I have a sick chicken!

Pressman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
East-Central Idaho
Please help BYC. I think I have a sick chicken but don't know what's wrong. She's just sitting on the roost trying to suck into herself. She's fluffed up like crazy with her head all pulled in like I've not seen before. She wouldn't hop down for their most favorite "scratch snack", but did get down a few minutes ago for a small drink. She doesn't move when I touch her (very out of character). I am going to try and attach a photo. Any ideas please? I'm fairly new to the chicken business, coming up on two years.

I got these questions from Emergencies and Diseases Sticky. It may help others help you if you could answer them first. Good luck! It sounds like you have already answered some of these questions...

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I got these questions from Emergencies and Diseases Sticky. It may help others help you if you could answer them first. Good luck! It sounds like you have already answered some of these questions...

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
x2 Also, is it cold where you are?

Yes, it's about 10 degrees right now but their coop is 35 degrees as I have a heat lamp in it. I have been gone since Thursday and had someone watching them for me, so when I got home tonight was the first I noticed her "sick" behavior. Looks like she may have had some loose poop the last couple days while I was gone. Thank you for your list. Will see if I can find that section. They are Golden Laced Wyondotes, about 8 pounds, and they all weight about the same. There is no apparent trauma or injury, I feed feed them Layena pellets and crumbles free choice, along with the crumbles made into a warm mash in the morning and moistened old fashioned rolled oats at night. They also get some fresh spinach and occassionally some BOSS and scratch. A steady supply of fresh water as well - nothing has changed with their diet. If I can figure out what is wrong with her I can treat her myself, but will not hesitate to take her to the vet. These are not just chickens they are my "girls" - raised them from chicks. Thanks again.

I was able to talk with the person taking care of them while I was gone and she said at 5 p.m. they were all running around like normal. I got home at about 7 p.m. so whatever this is started in that 2-hour time frame. This morning she is still standing on the roost all fluffed up with her head sucked in. I offered her water in a bowl and she drank three sips. She also shifted her weight and raised her left foot slightly but otherwise she is not moving. I cannot tell if she has had any poo dropping as the others keep the shavings all stirred up.

I have brought my hen inside and put her in the bathtub so she can warm up and I can watch her closer. She is drinking a little water but no food. Her poo is drizzling out of her, a bright "lemon yellow" color. I can feel no egg stuck in her so I really need some help here.

I just went to find a more experience member, hopefully they will come have a look.

Fingers crossed...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom