I think I have an easter egger

bsherman3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I bought a hen from someone nearby who was selling Ameraucana hens. I picked her up at night so it was already kind of dark. I didn't know about the In the daylight, her legs look greenish. Easter egger? Any idea of what color egg she will lay?

Looks like an EE to me. While most lay bluish or greenish blue eggs they can lay any color including pink, brown, white or tan. Since the pea comb tends to be associated with the blue egg gene I would suspect a bluish or greenish egg. That is what mine all lay.

She should lay blue or green ,since she has that nice pea comb.I'm still new to pure bred AMs I have three but yes those legs don't look pure. Hope u love her anyhow.

Oh we will love her. My daughter was so excited when we got her. She's a very docile hen.

Mostly, I'm just annoyed that people are mislabeling these birds. I guess I'll have to do my homework next time!

Oh we will love her. My daughter was so excited when we got her. She's a very docile hen.

Mostly, I'm just annoyed that people are mislabeling these birds. I guess I'll have to do my homework next time!

Since some hatcheries sell EE's under the name Ameraucana (Sometimes spelled Americauna to differentiate) it's no wonder people make mistakes. After all, most trust the hatchery as to what they are buying. Then if people breed their hatchery stock it can perpetuate.
But no mater, I've had both and the EE's lay more eggs and more varied colors and are both heat and cold hardy. Over all, they're my favorite birds.
My opinion only, you need the Ameraucanas only if you want to show or if you paid the higher price it would be nice to have the real McCoy, but given my choice, I'll take the EE.

Since some hatcheries sell EE's under the name Ameraucana (Sometimes spelled Americauna to differentiate) it's no wonder people make mistakes. After all, most trust the hatchery as to what they are buying. Then if people breed their hatchery stock it can perpetuate.
But no mater, I've had both and the EE's lay more eggs and more varied colors and are both heat and cold hardy. Over all, they're my favorite birds.
My opinion only, you need the Ameraucanas only if you want to show or if you paid the higher price it would be nice to have the real McCoy, but given my choice, I'll take the EE.
Yeah, I understand why it happens. Also, the feed stores buy them from the hatcheries like that and label them the same so it just perpetuates it more.

Mostly my wife wants blue eggs, and I wanted a bird that would breed true. I paid $20 for her so probably not too bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom