I think I have enough ventilation, what do members think?

I added ventilation on both sides of my coop. I can adjust the opening as needed do to the wind direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 18
I'm assuming your winds come from the north and west? It is hard to tell, but it sounds like you faced the front of the coop (where the ventilation currently is) to the south AND east. If so, I'd recommend picking one direction. For instance, face it south and then add new ventilation areas on the east side too.

It's a pain to retroactively add ventilation, but its a necessity here. Windows would allow natural light and increase ventilation. Look for cheap secondhand ones on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Otherwise, enlarge the existing ventilation ports and consider cutting out the top triangle portion (near the roof) of whichever side faces south or east. Cover these openings with hardware cloth.

Edit: I wish the roof eaves were bigger in an area so prone to precipitation. You do have rafters under those roof panels right? I can't see anything exposed. Roof pitch is important, but you need notched rafters to transfer the load to your studs (not the cheap screw-in metal brackets).

I'm assuming your winds come from the north and west? It is hard to tell, but it sounds like you faced the front of the coop (where the ventilation currently is) to the south AND east. If so, I'd recommend picking one direction. For instance, face it south and then add new ventilation areas on the east side too.

It's a pain to retroactively add ventilation, but its a necessity here. Windows would allow natural light and increase ventilation. Look for cheap secondhand ones on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. Otherwise, enlarge the existing ventilation ports and consider cutting out the top triangle portion (near the roof) of whichever side faces south or east. Cover these openings with hardware cloth.

Edit: I wish the roof eaves were bigger in an area so prone to precipitation. You do have rafters under those roof panels right? I can't see anything exposed. Roof pitch is important, but you need notched rafters to transfer the load to your studs (not the cheap screw-in metal brackets).

The coop is facing SE, closer to the E. The back side has mostly woods where the trees block most winds. I figured I was going to cut out 2, 30"x18" hinged doors with plexiglass windows. One the triangles I can cut out a 12"x18" hinged vents on each side. Doing that upgrade should give me 12 plus square feet of ventilation, plus that will keep the chickens heads below the ventilation opening.

The coop is facing SE, closer to the E. The back side has mostly woods where the trees block most wind. I figured I was going to cut out 2, 30"x18" hinged doors in the front below the openings I have now with plexiglass windows. On the triangles I can cut out a 12"x18" hinged vents on each side. Doing that upgrade should give me 12 plus square feet of ventilation, plus that will keep the chickens heads below the ventilation opening.I didn't use any hurricane brackets on the side roof. They are screwed and lagged down with screws and bolts. It has ice and snow roofing on it right now, but I will put metal roof panels on be for the snow flys.

Back
Top Bottom