I think I have enough ventilation, what do members think?

rbcss

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2021
Windsor, ct
Good afternoon, I just built a hen house. (I don't have any birds at this point, but will in the spring). the hen house floor is 6x5 with the front being 6 1/2 feet tall with a 4 foot back. it's a lean to roof style. I live in Connecticut, and we can get quite a bit of snow from time to time. so I wanted enough pitch on the roof. the front of the coop has a opening of 72" long and 4" wide opening for ventilation. the coop faces southeast. I'm planning to have 6 chickens. I think I should have enough ventilation for six chickens. If I don't should I make another opening on the southwest side? I really didn't want to do a northeast to southwest opening for cross ventilation unless you all think it may be wise to. the back of the coop is only 4 foot so I thought it could get drafty on that side. thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC. Smart of you to make the roof steep enough to deal with your snow load.

The 4"x72" opening is 2 square feet -- enough for 2 chickens. You want at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen.

You want good airflow along the underside of the roof to carry off moisture. :) A top-hinged vent can be adjusted to allow airflow without letting strong wind blow in. @aart has some information about baffling vents against winter storms, IIRC.

You could also open up triangles at the top of the side walls, again using top-hinged covers.

@aart has some information about baffling vents against winter storms, IIRC.
I do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

Can you post pictures of it?
Yes, please....all around, inside and out.

I live in Connecticut,
Welcome to BYC! @rbcss
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1634771432138.png

Welcome to BYC. Smart of you to make the roof steep enough to deal with your snow load.

The 4"x72" opening is 2 square feet -- enough for 2 chickens. You want at least 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen.

You want good airflow along the underside of the roof to carry off moisture. :) A top-hinged vent can be adjusted to allow airflow without letting strong wind blow in. @aart has some information about baffling vents against winter storms, IIRC.

You could also open up triangles at the top of the side walls, again using top-hinged covers.
Thanks for responding. Yes I figured the size wrong. I divided by 12 not 144 for square footage. I haven't done a run yet and I don't know yet how the roof rafter will fall in line with the front wall. I will put in one big or two smaller windows. I still need the cut in the nest box and install a few windows. But the shell is done and roof on for the winter. The vent I made will be opened year round. I will try and post a pic. Not very good on uploads.
Regards
Ralph

Yes you'll need more ventilation, and some amount of cross ventilation is ideal to allow ammonia to flow out of the coop.

Depending on the wind directions at your location, I'd consider opening up the triangles under the roof on either side, and then protect it with an awning or some sort of top hinged panel that can be partially closed during winds and rain. Examples:

- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-coop-is-done-now-for-the-run.1381538/
- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

I think I got it

Definitely need a LOT more ventilation. :) Especially being in a damp, coastal climate you'll have a lot of trouble with humidity and be at risk of frostbite from moisture freezing on the birds' combs and feet.

This photo is from an article on cow barns but it illustrates the principles of air movement:

natural-ventilation.png

Think of your coop as half that building.

I think I got it
Thanks for your input, like I stated I did my math wrong, i`m glad I asked. I was going to put my run right to left and I didn`t know where my roof line would be. So with your input I will open up the sides with hinges and open the front with hinges also. My run will come off the front and taper down as I go. Thinking 8' down to 6'. I'm going to use the deep bedding, so I'm limited on space to put in the roost bars so they will be above the nesting box and below the open vents. I will have to change a couple of areas so I can fit everything in.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom