I think I have Marek's in my flock

cpagego

Chirping
Dec 10, 2020
Chandler, Arizona
So, I have about 60 pullets of various ages (1st batch 20 Easter eggers, 2nd batch 20 Cornish cross and third batch 20 mixed breed from Greenfire farms decent). I added the Greenfire farms decedents about 3 weeks ago from a private owner. About 5 days ago, one of my Cornish Cross (age about 8 wks) was found dead. Then one of the 12 wk old, (Greenfire) was found dead. The next day another Greenfire pullet/cockerel was found on the ground soiled in stool with a bunch of birds hovering around it. I took it out and quarantined and noticed he/she was limping around. I inspected and saw no signs of trauma. A couple of days later I then put it back into the yard for about an hour and observed that the limp had improved a little but the other birds were picking on it. I then noticed another one of my 14wk old Easter egg pullets, limping around. Again no signs of trauma. I put the two limping birds in a separate pen to quarantine them. I was reading and I think this may be signs that my flock is infected with Marek's. My hunch is that these birds came infected from the seller of the Greenfire farms batch. Dead and Limping birds with no signs of trauma. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Limping doesn't mean anything usually, have you noticed the foot curling? Odd shape of the pupil?
I wouldn't exactly be shocked if greenfires were infected with something, the quality has slipped considerably in the last couple years, but the prices have not.

Limping doesn't mean anything usually, have you noticed the foot curling? Odd shape of the pupil?
I wouldn't exactly be shocked if greenfires were infected with something, the quality has slipped considerably in the last couple years, but the prices have not.
I have not looked for those signs. Ill check. I am processing all the Cornish Cross this weekend so I will look for tumors. Thanks. These were not from Greenfire but a local reseller. She buys and hatches eggs from another local breeder that got her stock from Greenfire and then sells the pullets.

Back
Top Bottom