I think I have two roosters...

jcn143

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Florida
I have three buff orpingtons and three cuckoo marans. The buffs I think are three hens and two of the marans look like they may be roosters. They have much longer tail feathers and seem to stand different than the others. They are 8-9 weeks old. Is this to young to tell? One of them keeps flying up and sitting on my shoulder and seems more dominant. Couldn't take pictures today because it's pouring, but I'm curious if there is any other way to tell at this age.

Last edited:
Do they have noticeably larger/redder combs/wattles. Usually by this age, you can get a pretty good guess at the gender. Pictures would certainly help however.
smile.png

They have the same combs/Wattles but the feathers are different. They have longer wing feathers and tail feathers that stand straight up sometimes. Maybe it's just an age difference. I will try to get pictures tomorrow if it's not storming like it did today. I wanted to post a video but can't.

Thanks!

Okay, so after reading a ton of posts on BYC...I may not know until they lay an egg or they don't, lol.

I finally have some pictures. It was difficult to take the pictures one handed on my cell phone, so they are not that clear. No one told me chickens were harder to photograph than trying to keep my once two year old twins still in one shot. They were curious about the phone and wouldn't sit still!

Anyway, here are the pictures...

From what I have read, the ones with the larger tail feathers could just be developing faster than the others. I will keep them either way! Was kind of hoping for one rooster.

Tonight they were kind of fighting over who was going to have the right to jump on my shoulder. May have to stop that habit. Interesting that they may feel like I am their protector. :)

Thanks! :) It's kind of funny. I was bummed when I thought I had gotten too many cockerels, and now I'm kind of sad that I don't have at least one!

Yes, they look like pullets to me too. I have 2 cuckoo marans and they look like yours..... the roo of this breed usually has the opposite coloring...they are morw white than black.......a very handsome roo!

Back
Top Bottom