I think I just turned my chickens into egg eaters!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just got two welsummer hens 3 days ago. They laid their eggs and we grabbed them up right away...no problem. They lay about 9pm or later. I got three eggs so far. Tonight we got our normal egg after 9:30pm...my sister is here for a few days and she went out in the garage and seen them EATING one! UGH! I think they stepped on it and thought the would try eating it! They are in a quarantine cage for 3 weeks..they have many days to go... is there anything I can do? Or should I just try to be there when they lay and grab them right away? Will they stop when I move them to the hen house? I sure hope so!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... my birds would eat their eggs if I broke one for them, but given a whole egg, they look at me like I am crazy. Just keep an eye on them when they are in the coop.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I was thinking that maybe possibly they broke it on accident? And then ate it? (I Hope) I will have to see what happens tomorrow I guess! Thanks for the input [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by