Hen became a mom, First time having chicks, any tips?

My duck margarito attacked the chicks and crippled one 2 of them by violently biting their legs.. they did not make it to the nest last night and the mom tried bringing them but they never did. They ended up dying that night and we are missing one more chick but I do not know where it is, I only see 2 dead chicks I think it might have wandered off.

Separate mom and the remaining chicks before you lose any more. She’s very stressed, trying to protect her chicks. You need to move them somewhere she can peacefully (and safely) care for them and herself. I’m sorry to hear about the chicks. I hope you find the missing one.

Actually, I do think chickens see color. When I have my fingernails green, they seem to peck them! lol but will not with any other color. But as for them knowing who's baby is who's, they really don't care, they view them as their babies!
Yep, chickens are tetrachromatic, they can actually see more color hues than we can

I separated the mom and her chicks they are doing just fine, I bring some food and the mother knows she is safe inside the nestbed so she doesn't leave
She's taken the opportunity to teach them a few more things like to drink water.. eat stuff, scratch hay, and she sometimes comes out grabs something like a leaf and gives it to them, I hope none of them leave the nest I really don't want to lose anymore chicks, the missing chick is nowhere to be seen. And I'm assuming he is long gone. We have tall grasses so it's impossible to find him at this point, and for the dead chicks I dug them a grave and put some of the leaves on them, they loved eating the leaves that fell off the tree

I separated the mom and her chicks they are doing just fine, I bring some food and the mother knows she is safe inside the nestbed so she doesn't leave
She's taken the opportunity to teach them a few more things like to drink water.. eat stuff, scratch hay, and she sometimes comes out grabs something like a leaf and gives it to them, I hope none of them leave the nest I really don't want to lose anymore chicks, the missing chick is nowhere to be seen. And I'm assuming he is long gone. We have tall grasses so it's impossible to find him at this point, and for the dead chicks I dug them a grave and put some of the leaves on them, they loved eating the leaves that fell off the tree
Another baby chick had died, He was not underneath the mother and we have 2 chicks now, One chick is laying down eyes closed and chirping!! Is there anything I can do??

Back
Top Bottom