I think I lost a chicken today

SandyC

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
The Flint Hills, Kansas
I let them out this morning before my walk around 10 and noticed shortly after I got back about an hour later, that one of the Buffs was missing. I have been looking around all day for her and not sign of her. Nothing!!! I am still hoping that she will be in when I usually round them up for the day, but that is coming up soon. I closed the others up in the barn earlier. This is so sad. She was very sweet.
sad.png

Did you ever find her? Sorry to hear it. That is my biggest fear, that something will happen when you free range.

This morning I woke up and the coop door was open. They were all there though. I panicked. Still don't know what happened.

Hope you found her though.

Last edited:
No...she didn't come home. I think a hawk got her. I put the others back in the coop earlier because I was afraid that if something did get her, they would be back for more. I left the barn door open though, so she could at least get in there if she came home. When I just went out to check and close the barn for the night, a hawk on a nearby tree flew off...no doubt there for the next meal. I guess I will have to make a run for them or only let them out when I am in the yard. I SO hate to do that, but on the other hand, I can't let the hawks feast on my chickens either. Do any of you know if hawks will really stay away if you have a goat?

Ive heard people say goats keep the hawks away, and Im starting to think there is something in that theory. I have 2 pygmy goats, and very few hawks, even hear in the woods. In the spring time I have a few that hang around, but they leave after a couple of weeks. It looks like they are looking to build a nest, but they move on. Unfortunatly, when you free range you do loose a few.

Any chance your little buff girl has gone broody somewhere? I have a couple that try thier hardest to brood in the hay bin. Took me awhile to find where they were hiding. I thought I had lost my little dottie until I finally found her in there with about a dozen eggs.

Shannon

Quote:
So sorry Sandy............but be careful thinking since you are out there with them.that nothing will take them........the coyote that took my big roo and guinea and attacked my little missy hen.........did it , in broad daylight.........when people were in the yard..........actually came up to my porch.....so ,a run would work best......wish you the best

Last edited:
I am so sorry about the loss of your chicken....I lost one to a hawk early this summer.
IT STICKS!
It makes me scared to let mine free range......but they love it so much and so do I.

Well, I let them out for an hour today and I was right next to them and this HUGE hawk flew overhead. I quickly herded them back into the barn and let them run around there for awhile. I so do NOT want to pen them in. I am really torn now. I want to try the goat! I have to get my fencing up though and locate someone who sells Oberhaulis goats...yes I know...I am picky!!!!

I would not want to differ with anyone who thinks goats will keep hawks away, but there is no way I could believe it unless I saw it. Why would a goat keep hawks away? AND, goats are quite a bit of trouble unless you have a really good fence for them. And if they run loose, they are cute and playful, but that playfulness includes standing on top of your new car, etc, if they can get to it. They are quite a bit of trouble unless you are really prepared for them. We took a half/pigmy goat from someone who wanted rid of it. It was so tame we just let it run around the yard. It ate all the screen off our screen door one day. You must do what suits you, but I wouldn't raise chickens without having protection from hawks for them. And in my opinion, that would be a covered pen. Good luck with what you decide.

SO sorry that she didn’t come back. Are these full-grown hens? Mine are free ranging at 15 weeks and I seldom think about hawks (even tho we have gangs of them) b/c our birds are so big. Maybe I’m deluding myself!

Anyway, hope you get thru it. Who would guess the loss of a chicken could be so hard?

Back
Top Bottom