I think I made her mad..

I'm not sure what your temps are like right now. It is a lot more fun having chickens in spring, summer and fall. Winter gets a bit nippy, so things like water and whatnot are less fun.
smile.png
That being said, I did spend a chilly half hour outside earlier just talking to my girls (and boys!).

Pros for now-
- Well, duh... you'd have your own chickens now. We do love instant gratification.
- Henrietta would have an friend now. That would be good.

Pros for spring-
- You would have time to really plan out your coop. I built my first one and then figured out all sorts of things I wish I had done. Now three coops later I am wanting to rebuild the whole setup and do it different. The more time you put into it initially, the better it works out in the end.
- Your choice of birds will be greater in the spring and summer. Most people got rid of their extra stock back in the late summer/ fall. You won't have much to choose from right now.
- Chicks are available in the spring. You cannot believe how fun it is to have chicks. That is second only to watching them hatch out yourself. Very, very cool and completely addictive.
- It is a lot more fun to spend time outside in the spring. Let's face it, you are going to want to spend a lot of time outside playing with them. Might as well be comfy.

The compromise, of course, is to get one or two right now and then spend your time over winter planning phase two. And there will be a phase two (and three and four... it just goes on and on).
big_smile.png
Either way, welcome to the world of chickens. It is more fun than you can imagine!
wee.gif

I've found that chickens are sort of the ideal pets. They live outside, friendly, always happy to see you, interesting, have personality. I have one Jersey Giant named Mariska who has always pecked the back of my pants when I sit in the chair by the coop. She hasn't done it in a while because she's been molting. But someone pecked the back of my pants today! Someone must be feeling better!

I think you should move that coop around to your side of the fence. When the neighbors come home claim an earthquake did it.
roll.png

Imp-
welcome-byc.gif
to BYC. You fit right in.

Back
Top Bottom