I think I messed up!! Chick grit question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Mar 17, 2012.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I got chick scratch at the feed store and mixed it in with my three day old chicks feed. I also scattered it in the shavings of their brooder. I'm just realizing I didn't add grit anywhere! That was Thursday. I won't be able to see them until Sunday. Do you think it's going to kill them?

Would love some advice asap. Thank you!!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I can't honestly say wheter it will or not... What I can tell you is they don't need scratch at 3 days old. All they need is their chick feed. If you want to give them a treat, scramble them some eggs!! Good Luck!

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Not having grit should be okay. I never gave my chicks grit, and they've never had it as adults either, although they do free range now. Just having the chick feed is good enough for them - ours survived on chick feed and water for three weeks when we were away, as the person feeding them for us didn't have time to let them outside for a scratch every day. :p

4. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Our local feed store told us to feed our new chicks scratch for the first 24 hours (after shipping) then mix it into the chick feed. I assume it had something to do with the sugar and encouraging them to eat. We did that, they are healthy and happy 3 week old chicks. They had no access to grit during that time. They also told me it help with pasty butt. Only had one chick with pasty butt. I think there are alot of idea's out there. I think your chicks should be fine. Just make sure scratch is only a rare treat.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thank you for the replies! I'm feeling a bit better about it. I'll check their little crops first thing tomorrow morning and see if they're at all swollen or hard. Hopefully, a little grit given then will help balance things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by