I think I messed up

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wsonphan80, Aug 23, 2011.

1. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    I've been feeding my meaties a mixture of Purina Gamebird Startena and Purina Start and Grow (medicated). They are 7 weeks old and about 7lbs each. I forgot about the medicated feed. Is it safe to eat these birds or do I have to flush the medicated feed from them first. And if so, how long until I can process? Thanks everyone in advance for your responses...

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There is usually something on the bag that tells you how long the withdrawal time is, I think.

3. Tiffany from Nutrena

Tiffany from Nutrena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    North of Pasco, WA
    Yep, it should say on the tag for the medicated feed if there is a withdrawal time required. Typically, medications like amprolium are safe to use right up until butcher time but you need to check the tag to make sure.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The feed that is medicated is formulated to be the sole source of feed, not to be diluted. By diluting the feed you are reducing the effectiveness of the feed and setting up potential medication resistance issues.

Without knowing the medication and the usage rate no one can give you any advice.

Look at your tag, it has ALL the information you need to answer your question.

Jim

5. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    I think I'd add a little to the period just to be on the safe side...

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I do believe you are OK, I would just get the unmedicated chick starter the next time you need feed just to be safe. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by